Time has come

Hi there. I m new to this. I’m almost 36 years old. And have been party girl since I’m 18. Never stopped drinking ( except when I was pregnant and for a short while after ). Every time I even have only one sip, I end up passed out somewhere blacked out and vomiting non stop. This happens every time i drink. I usually drink once a week at this point in my life. My husband is tolerant but is probably turn off. I’m always fun at the beginning of the night but end of the night and next day, Im a totally mess. I get rowdy mean and try and make out with every guy in sight. I guess you can say I’m a binge drinker. Neways last weekend was pretty bad so I thought its time now. So here I am 5 days sober and very nervous for the weekend. Thanks for reading.

8 Likes

That’s great that you’ve gone 5 days! I’m almost 4 days in… stay strong and remember… without alcohol is so much better. I’m sure you’ll start enjoying weekends much more now that you’re not drinking.

Hi @Nomoreblackouts and welcome to the forum! Thanks for sharing your story.

Not sure if you tried to stop before but first few days and weeks can be very difficult, stay strong and get as much support/info as you can - This App/Forum (talkingsober.com), reading/education, AA or other meetings, maybe an outpatient program, etc. Some useful links are found here:

Also you can personalize your profile:

See you around and stay strong!

@Nomoreblackouts love the username and welcome! I do NOT miss what I can’t remember that’s for damn sure. Congrats on 5 days, keep posting!!! :slight_smile:

Our stories are similar, I’m a weekend party girl. I got a DWI and had to take a hard look at myself.

I told my BF and friends right away that I decided to take a pause on alcohol. I still go out on the weekends, although I’m going home at a decent hour instead of carrying on all night, seeking the after bar party, etc. It made it easier that everyone knows I’m taking a pause on the booze… they always make sure my water or pop is full, don’t push shots on me. Etc.

You may or may not be able to hang out comfortably in a bar setting without drinking. This first weekend, you should either avoid it altogether or just go out for dinner then home… whatever you do make sure you have an escspe plan. It really really helps if your husband or friends are with you, and know that you don’t want to drink.

You’ve got this! Weekends are soooo much better when they’re not all about revolving between binging and hangovers. There’s so much you can do! Look at your bank account and figure out how much $ you spent on average on the weekends to party. That’s how much $ you have to spend shopping, or eating at an expensive restaurant, or getting tickets to a great show. I know I would always be very budget conscious when it came to those things… spend $250 on those cute boots? I can’t afford that! But dropping $100 on a Friday night bar tab, another bill on Sat., more for brunch on Sunday… turns out I could afford those boots, I just chose to get hammered instead. It’s crazy how I would avoid ordering an appetizer at dinner because I didn’t “need” to spend $15 on shrimp cocktail, but wouldn’t blink at dropping $50 to buy a round of drinks!

I’ve been so much more productive too. It’s great to get up early on a Saturday feeling great, and then having a whole day to be productive! We’re actually going to a house party tonight, everyone there knows I’m not drinking. We’ll hang out for a few hours, then leave when people start getting super drunk. It’s going to be great!

Thinking of you and hoping you can make fun weekend plans in order to avoid the booze. The fact that it’s St. Patrick’s day may make it easier actually… when you are sober and everyone else is stupid drunk, you realize they’re not even really having fun… they’re just hammered and dumb. You’ve got this!

2 Likes

Thanks @Elisabeth … day 6 today and feeling fab this morning. How long has it been for u ?

Wow you’ve got it all figured out. Good advice @Trying !!! How long has it been for you ? I’m so done with the dreadful weekend puking, not remembering anything making a fool of myself… I can’t wait to wake up Saturday and Sunday being on the ball instead of wanting the day to end cause I feel so rotten. Thanks for the great advice and check in again !

1 Like

91 days now. Have a great day!!! My plan is to stay off social media (excluding this forum) and really try and ignore the fact that its St. Paddy’s today. Huge trigger for me! :anguished: :four_leaf_clover:

That’s the plan. Do you try getting sober often ?

Hibernate with loved ones… movies food and don’t look at anything green :laughing:

1 Like

33 days! Doesn’t sound like a lot, but it’s 4 weekends in a row of no drinking…I haven’t had a streak like that since before college! This will be weekend #5!

Same story for me, 34 and party girl but been sober 26 days now. The blackouts terrified me i thought i was loosing my mind. I pretend to people i remember things but i dont. Also wake up covered in vomit all over face, hair, bed and floor pretty scarry stuff. If i carry on like that one day i wont wake up thats why i must quit now. Keep going and stay strong. Theres so much more to life

1 Like

Similar story. Good for you …almost a month. It’s Friday 6h Im having a coffee :slight_smile: