Ways to stop self harming?

I was clean for almost one year, but relapsed recently. I have started to lose hope and get discouraged. Does anyone have tips on what to do when the urge arrises?

Hi @Xiroedd and welcome. :wave: Try using the “magnifier” search icon, and search the forum for “self harm” or “selfharm” you will find members who have discussed this before.

There’s a link about this towards the bottom of this topic post

Hi @Xiroedd. First of all let me say that you are not alone. I have struggled with self harm for over half my life. Please visit these websites for some practical tips on handling urges. I found them to be very helpful.

https://www.helpguide.org/articles/anxiety/cutting-and-self-harm.htm

Please don’t lose hope. I know it can seem like a never ending battle but it is possible to come out of it. I have abstained from self harming for the past 5 years. Some days the urge can be very strong but it does get easier over time.

I think the most important thing for me has been to find an alternative way to relieve stress. Kickboxing is a wonderful way to do that (it’s what I do). I have a heavy bag at home to work on when I have strong emotions that I need to expel. I train or exercise instead of cutting or other self destructive behavior that I normally would lean on.

Be strong. There is always hope. You can do this!

3 Likes