Why Do I Keep Giving In?

Went a whole week without drinking and because the long wknd came, I caved by saying “Its a long wknd so what’s the big deal? I’ll reset on Monday”. I feel like such an idiot. Oh and I knew I would feel like crap this morning but while I was drinking, smoking and playing games on my tablet I didn’t care. Said the same thing this morning I always tell myself, never again. Now as the afternoon goes on, I’m starting to get the anxious feeling I can’t have any wine at home for later tonight. Should have never had that first drink Saturday night…just down hill from there. I need to get a grip on myself :pensive:

1 Like

I’ve been off work too and I’ve struggled big time…

@Teen and @paws86, keep trying and something will eventually click. Definitely don’t stop trying!!

2 Likes

what are you doing to help you stay sober? Are you working the steps with a sponsor? Are you going to meetings? Journaling? I found that the more I do these things the more I realize that their tools to getting past difficult times. In my sobriety I have faced things that I would usually drink over, but now I find that the things I mentioned above as well as reaching out to other alcoholics are tools to help me stay sober. Every day is different and every day I do different things that reinforcement sobriety and this way of life.

2 Likes

Hey @Teen. You’re not being “an idiot” but you may need to work on silencing the addict voice in your mind that tries to convince you of things like that.

I see a number of people out here today struggling with slip/relapse. I would recommend spending some time studying relapse prevention and how to deal with cravings. Some good resources are in these posts:

(Different Aspects of Recovery)

(Different Aspects of Recovery)

1 Like