________Anonymous Meeting Here

You’ll be in our thoughts as you trudge this road…sober. “Thy will, not mine, be done”

1 Like

We admitted we were powerless over alcohol and just about everything else!!:innocent::grinning::anchor:

2 Likes

Just got back home from court. Trial was pushed to another date. New evidence was given to the state today. There was a civilian that recorded it and my lawyer didn’t know about it. So just waiting in limbo for another month.

2 Likes

I have been noticing the same problem with staying on topic at a few meetings. Im still pretty early in recovery so I don’t feel i have a right? to cut someone off. I also don’t like coming off as an ass. It happened yesterday at a meeting and I am usually able to tune it out but it got to me and I walked out. I used to make myself stay in a meeting because I never know what the next person is gonna say and I might be able to get something from them. But recently I have had a low tolerance for bullshiit comments. Im not there to listen to someone go on about their car or how they are only trying to get money to move and then all their problems will be solved. Its a new defect of character for me that I need to work on. Maybe next time it happens I will speak up.

1 Like

I see this at my meeting as well. The old timers are too comfortable (not reading their big book, not helping other alcoholics, not working steps 10 thru 12 on a daily basis) (this is how i relapsed after 6 years) They come to meetings and that’s it. Basically they are dry and angry…I definitely don’t want what they have. You can tell who’s working a solid program and who’s not. Another thing that bothers me is that I’m not seeing the fresh newcomers getting greeted and made to feel comfortable so they’ll keep coming back. We need to be friendly, not uppity and remember what it feel like to suffer. And yes, you earned that chair just as much as anyone else so you can speak up. Respect is given to those who came before us but they are not on a pedestal. Neither are sponsors. We are all human and all one drink away.

5 Likes

i’ve experienced the “fading off” effect and disinterest in meetings when people get off topic a few times @DrunkNoMore but not too bad that i’d want to leave. yet at least haha. that does sound like a disappointment. and in regards to old timers being cranky and all - i have experienced that most certainly. my sponsor had encouraged me to attend a dignitaries meeting with him which i agreed to, but, after going six times i decided those style meetings are simply not for me. i was CHEWED OUT by an old timer for sharing (in more words) “…my friend/coworker died yesterday, many coworkers had drinks in his name or whatever, i didn’t” . this old timer tore into me about how he didn’t give a damn to hear about my friend and i can’t bring him back to life and if i’m going to come to meetings i have to talk about myself. i thought “what the hell i just did talk about myself?” several people at that meeting came up to me afterwards saying that guy was totally out of line and is more or less just a really cranky old ass hole. i was just thankful it wasn’t my first meeting or anything, because that could have scared someone away from the program for sure. again, that was at a “dignitaries” meeting and those are a bit different. they allow cross talk and all. i do not like them/attend them any longer.

luckily i live in an area where there are tons of meetings at all times of the day near me. someone from out of state was recently at a table i was at and they were blown away how many meetings we had. the amount of meetings available to me was something i took for granted before hearing how few there were around where she came from.

1 Like

Ha!:smiley: Thanks @DrunkNoMore. How about…
service work as a topic. It’s recommended we reach out and help another alcoholic. But what other types of service work can we do inside and outside of the rooms? I know this is a huge part of my recovery because it keeps me humble and gets me out of my own way. We are given many opportunities each day if we actually pay attention.

6 Likes

i call three other alcoholics each week on the phone, and make coffee at one meeting. i was nervous/hesitant to call people at first but after starting to get in the habit i enjoy it. (not even sure if that’s really service work?)

3 Likes

I shall not wait to be drafted for service to AA. I shall volunteer. I shall be loyal in my attendance, generous in my giving, kind in my criticism, creative in my suggestions, loving in my attitudes. I shall give to AA my interest, my enthusiasm, my devotion and, most of all, myself.
We have a mission to carry the message (and practice these principles in ALL our affairs) to those who don’t know there’s a way out. I am to live in such a way that my program may be a testimony. This frees me to share my gift of wellness.
(referring loosely to the May 31st Twenty-four Hours a Day book)

GETTING INVOLVED

There is action and more action. “Faith without works
is dead.” . . . To be helpful is our only aim.
ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS , pp. 88-89

I understand that service is a vital part of recovery
but I often wonder, “What can I do?” Simply start with
what I have today! I look around to see where there is
a need. Are the ashtrays full? Do I have hands and feet
to empty them? Suddenly I’m involved! The best speaker
may make the worst coffee; the member who’s best
with newcomers may be unable to read; the one willing to
clean up may make a mess of the bank account -
yet every one of these people and jobs is essential
to an active group. The miracle of service is this:
when I use what I have, I find there is more available
to me than I realized before.
(Daily Reflections book January 24th)

Pg 106 The Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions (the 12 & 12) explains in detail our ability to be of service.

Pg 89 Big Book "Working with others"
Practical experience shows that nothing will so much insure immunity from drinking as intensive work with other alcoholics. It works when other activities fail. This is our twelfth suggestion: Carry this message to other alcoholics! You can help when no one else can. You can secure their confidence when others fail. Remember they are very ill.
Life will take on new meaning. To watch people recover, to see them help others, to watch loneliness vanish, to see a fellowship grow up about you, to have a host of friends - this is an experience you must not miss. We know you will not want to miss it. Frequent contact with newcomers and with each other is the bright spot of our lives.

6 Likes

Yes, it’s definitely service work. Anything we do without selfish motives or expectations can be considered service.

2 Likes

I love staying busy in AA. I currently chair a Grapevine meeting on Wednesday evenings. I really like it because I get to pick the topic and get everyone’s mind going in a different direction than the normal step or big book meeting.

I think I’m ready to start working with others but my sponsor says i would be two stepping (admitting that Im an alcoholic. Then helping someone else without fixing myself) And doesn’t think its a good idea. I have been asking around about how to get to detoxes and treatment centers to spread the message though. And I always give my number to the new comer and buy someone a meal if I can.

Im trying to make a list for people to put their names on if they want to go downtown, Chicago, for ICYPAA as a group and we all ride the train down there. Im kinda nervous to do it though for some reason.
Great topic once again @Melrm

5 Likes

i’ve never been to a grapevines meeting but that sounds cool as you mentioned to get peoples mind going on something besides the steps or big book.

don’t forget @Enaps you (and many others) are spreading the message here w your posts :slight_smile:

4 Likes

http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/international-convention-2020

Check it out! I’m so freaking excited :grin: I’ve never had a chance to go to one (they’re every 5 years)

3 Likes

Yea someone was just telling about that yesterday. They said its a blast. I need to go.

2 Likes

I really like speaker meetings myself, but where I I’m at there harder to find…

@DrunkNoMore, I am so sorry your struggling at this time. I have found that my subconscious knows best, and if your thinking you need a meeting in Sunday morning than it’s more than likely best. The best thing to come from an 8 am meeting is it will make your day with your wife a better day. On the way home you can stop and grab a box of donuts or a couple cups of coffee. Or even a hey of wildflowers from Walmart to brighten her day. Does the wife enjoy mass? I know when my husband and I went to mass I always felt more connected to life, love, and God, and each other.
Just a thought or two. I will pray with you for a solution remember to look to your higher power as I know you will because he will lead you in the right direction and give you lots of solutions. Dont forget to thank your higher power for the abundance of gifts he has bestowed upon your beautiful wife and family and all these days of sobriety.:purple_heart::hugs::wave:

2 Likes

@DrunkNoMore, Please don’t feel empty… Here’s some goodies :pizza::hamburger::popcorn:for your empty​:coffee::tumbler_glass: space. If I was there I would give you a real hug and real conversation. :hugs::ok_hand::purple_heart:. With my real heart. Which by the way is red with wires in it. Lol

1 Like

@lizak. You are very sweet. Thanks.

1 Like

Im an alcoholic named Erik and I might have a topic.

When I came back to the rooms I looked for a sponsor right away. I liked what someone had to say so I asked if he would a be my temporary sponsor. And we worked through the steps but I don’t really like the way he is going through the book with me. I want to get a new sponsor that I see at meetings and is more active in the program. One who is morally supportive. I don’t know if a sponsor is supposed to be morally supportive though. My guy now hasn’t gone through the things Im going through and I don’t think he really understands where I’m at with legal issues. I don’t know how to ask someone now that I’ve already worked the steps. I have a couple people in mind but I’m hesitant to ask them. I feel like I would be taking there time up with useless shit. I also don’t know if I just have a commitment issue with people. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

1 Like

@Enaps, I have a similar problem, but mine is more getting people to understand what the crap I’m talking about when I break into Navy jargon​:innocent: and they just look at me funny​:grinning::anchor:. I would like to find a sponsor who has served in the Navy or maybe one of the other armed services. Good luck finding a sponsor.

2 Likes