1-2 year changes

Im suspecting this might happen and I want fo be prepared. Im confident that I can make it another month without using, but seriously concerned about using again a few months into year 2. Im not happier, i have a job I could probably smoke weed after, and i am worried about what lies ahead.

Anyone experience emotional plateau or increased risk of relapse after 1 year? How did you approach it? Thank you

5 Likes

I found that year 1 was a real milestone - full of struggle, learning, changing, reflection, success.
Year 2 was where the hard work of consolidation happened. There were not as many milestone successes, not as much big change, not as much struggle and satisfaction at overcoming. This was hard in some ways, and easy in others.
Year 3 is where comfort really sets in. Comfortable confidence in ones self, and ones sobriety. It’s no longer a struggle, and I don’t need milestones to feel success. My life is my success and I get to live it every day.

Keep pushing through and know that as your journey continues it may not always be exciting, but the life it gives you is so, so rewarding in myriad ways… from big to small, loud to soft, exciting to mundane… all are successes worth reminding yourself of every once in a while.

:call_me_hand:

14 Likes

Don’t think ahead, just for today you won’t use, that is the AV

3 Likes

Congratulations on your solid time!!

Similar to Aybee, I found year 1 a full on struggle to get thru my early sobriety, learn some tools (and use them!), power thru with distraction techniques, reading everything that called to me sobriety wise…most days early on I just wanted to get thru. As the year progressed, I was a little more confident, but damn those milestones…the early ones would for sure get my brain going.

Heading into year 2 I found myself listening more to my feelings…to try to really look at WHY I used for so long, HOW I could become less stressed and reactive to feelings…which literally pass if we don’t get too attached to them. Year 2 was less about fighting hard to not drink and more about setting the stage to have solid tools and understanding of my whys and what nows. Learning to let go, or be dragged.

Year 3 found me feeling more solid still and some questions answered and more at ease with milestones and most importantly, myself.

I kept my focus on what I really wanted…which was and is to be proud of myself, to feel whole, to live life…all of it…clear and regret free with pride. I know what that old life holds and I don’t need to go back there. Life is not perfect, far from it and right now it is seriously emotionally draining and challenging, but I am clear and able to feel my way through, even tho it hurts and confuses me…I am grateful for that.

My sobriety is what sustains me right now thru these really hard and painful times.

Believe in yourself and that you will gain more strength as you journey forward. :sparkles:

6 Likes

Timely, I just responded to your post in the check-in thread. What you are experiencing is common, I believe. At those plateaus, I’ve added something to my toolkit, usually around adding another sobriety community or just engaging more. I can’t remember if you participate in AA or another community. I also do The Luckiest Club and am going to do some Recovery Dharma zoom meetings as our beloved @Thirdmonkey posys about his experiences and I “want some of that experience” as well. So proud and honored to be on this journey with you.

5 Likes