1/7/20- my new sober date

Sigh. Today is my new sober date. I made it 16 days and fell off for about two weeks. I thought I was done after I had my last car accident. I guess not. I even drove drunk and while drinking during those two weeks. Nothing happened thankfully. But, I’m here again. Trying again.

3 Likes

Welcome back, I’m glad you are trying again, and that you are safe. Do you have (or want) any ideas for how to make this time go better?

1 Like

@ifs I would really appreciate some ideas because I don’t have any except don’t buy it and don’t go to bars or places that serve alcohol.

1 Like

If you want to not drink, an AA meeting is a good safe place to be.

7 Likes

This are 2 pretty good ideas.
My advise would be to spend more time reading up on addiction and the stories of others.
Also for me NA has saved my ass.

Good luck doing whatever it takes.
And please remember Recovery doesn’t have to be fun, neither was using

6 Likes

The big thing I learned was that stopping drinking is only part of the equation. I also needed to address the factors and unlearn the patterns I followed that kept me turning to alcohol to fix. Lots of people use programs like AA, SMART Recovery, Recovery Dharma, and IOP to help accomplish this. Therapy can help too, particularly if the therapist has experience treating addiction. I would recommend taking a look at these and seeing if any of them could help, because I know they have helped a lot of people. Some people don’t follow an official program, but involvement in sober community of some sort is pivotal. Talking Sober is my main community these days, but I do occasionally go to meetings IRL as well.

6 Likes

If nothing changes, nothing changes. You have to decide that this is going to be your bottom. From what I remember, you took a good bit at the car accident. Is it going to take a DWI, hurting someone, or God forbid something worse. I dont know you but I can tell you I don’t want to see you in any of those positions.

As @SinceIAwoke suggested, AA is a good place to start. Do you have ins? Maybe look at outpatient or if you feel that rehab is necessary, then go for it. Need help working through everything? We are here to help and tell you our experiances.

You deserve to be sober. You deserve to never have another day one. You deserve to never hurt this way again.

:goat:

9 Likes

Maybe a different approach as suggested try a meeting meet new sober friend who have been were you are wish you well

First, welcome back. This is a good place to be, if you are committed to sobriety.

I read your post above, and then one of your earlier posts:

“As obvious as that should be to someone like myself… I just had to try it again. One lead to another and another and then another and then I couldn’t stop. Like I always can’t. Now I’m sitting here with a hematoma on my skull, a black eye, bruises all up and down my legs and just feeling like an overall failure with a totaled car. This has to be the beginning of a new life for me because if it isn’t I’m afraid I’m going to kill myself or worse, someone else. This is the first time I have ever posted on something like this. Thanks for letting me share, I guess.”

So I gotta ask: if totalling your car, and getting injured (luckily not fatally) wasn’t your bottom, what would be your bottom? DUI and incarceration? Killing someone else, or yourself?

Don’t mean to be harsh, it’s just that we find what we really need, in places we are unwilling to look. You asked for advice, and I’m advising that you ponder where your bottom is, and what it might look like when you hit it.

Then figure out how committed you are to never letting bottom happen, and then do whatever it takes to make it so. Rehab. Meetings. Counseling. Medical intervention. Do this while you still have the freedom to choose, rather than waiting for fate to choose for you.

8 Likes