1 and a half days sober

Hi Everyone :wave: So I decided to join today as I need help to stay sober. My last drink was 11pm Sunday night which was my usual 2 bottles of wine every second night. So im a day an a half sober. I really need to stay sober so hoping this app helps :raised_hands: Im a 39 year old mum of 2 and the longest ive been sober was 1 year since i was 12 years old. I don’t do drugs, alcohol is my drug. I am an alcoholic. Any advice on early days in recovery would be amazing. Thanks in advance :smiling_face:

11 Likes

Welcome to an amazing community. Congrats on your first day of sobriety :heart:

1 Like

Welcome and congratulations! I’m so happy for you. You’re going to feel so much better!

1 Like

Hi Jules and welcome to the forum!

I’ve shared a link below, for a thread in this forum that includes a heap of info about navigating the forum and also (early) sobriety. Please take a good look around and have a read, this forum played a huge role in helping me get sober and continues to support me in staying sober. I hope it helps you also!

Congratulations on 1.5 days, keep taking it one day at a time! Do you have any support around you? I would suggest finding supports ie this forum, meetings - face to face or online (AA, SMART, Dharma etc) as its near impossible to do on our own. And keep coming back here, we’re a great, worldwide bunch of people who all have a common aim - to be clean/sober and stay clean/sober :pray:

2 Likes

Welcome! You are in the right place!

Learning how to be sober is like anything else new. It takes learning and practice!

Checking in daily here and reading or listening to all you can about sobriety is important. I highly recommend reading or listening to the book “This Naked Mind” by Annie Grace. She also has a website and podcasts.

The first few weeks are the toughest. Take extra good care of yourself. Concentrate on forming new habits for relaxation and your daily routines. In the first few weeks I often took hot and cold showers when I wanted to drink. That helped interrupt my thinking. It is super important to avoid getting too hungry or too thirsty, so keep water and healthy snacks around. Work on a good bedtime routine and try to bring some moderate exercise to the picture. Just decent walking in the fresh air can do a lot to clear your mind.

Each day of victory will feel better and better. Make the decision to become a person who doesn’t use alcohol and then never question the decision!

I read something here everyday. On weekends I like to participate in the gratitude thread. This community has been super helpful to me. I’m a middle aged woman with 30 years of drinking and over 500 days sober. You can do it!

2 Likes

Morning. Welcome to the family. I am almost 60 sober from alcohol. I was drinking a half gallon every one to two days. It has helped me on here to read others struggles and shortcomings to know I don’t need that road. There are some great stories of success and failures for AA articles. Just remember to live in the moment. Don’t focus on a year, a month, or even an hour later just stay in the here and now. You are stronger than any struggle.

5 Likes