1 step forward 2 steps back

I had a whopping 3 days sober, until I drank last night. I am so mad at myself I cannot stand it. What do you guys do to prevent relapses? The past 3 days have sucked and I will be starting all over again.

4 Likes

To be honest, the fear of a relapse stops me from relapsing. I don’t want to hurt my husband and kids, but selfishly it is really the thought of dragging myself out of the quicksand of a relapse that affects me the most. The very first days of sobriety are just grin and bear it. But by 10 days for me personally I started feeling better.

8 Likes

The first few days are always hard. What helped me was remembering why I wanted to get sober. Remember the pain it made you feel, the embarrassment. Try and keep yourself busy too, working out, watching tv, playing video games, reading, whatever it is you like. Find a hobby you’ve always been interested in and go all in on it. Hang out with friends that want to do other things than just drink. If it’s drinking by yourself that you like, as it was in my case, do things you’ve always wanted to do but couldn’t because of alcohol. Go out and see the world around you, go out and experience life sober.

2 Likes

Do you have access to a psychiatrist? There are meds which can make the first few days easier. They helped me a lot.

2 Likes

Don’t buy alcohol and dump all the alcohol you have. If I have alcohol sitting around, I’ll drink it.

1 Like

Welcome. For me, I was active on here. I read everything…twice. i participated a lot in the beginning. At 90 days, i went to my first AA meeting.

1 Like

i started the 90 meetings in 90 days on day 1 of sobriety. i highly recommend. :heart:

1 Like

I slept a lot in the first couple of weeks. I also read quite a few quit literature books. And I came here every morning and evening, which I still do now. I wrote down all of my feelings in the very beginning. The hangovers the embarrassment and anxiety, the depression. I wrote it all down. I have it somewhere I can read if the craving is strong. Make sure there’s no booze in the house and don’t buy any. I wish you all the best in your journey. It does get easier after the first ten days or so. :pray:t2::two_hearts:

2 Likes