1 year getting close

1 year is in sight. Still trying to over come the " recovering alcoholic " title that is attached to this road. Daily triggers are everywhere. The everyday process consumes me. I hope once i reach 1 year a small, very small weight can come off my shoulders.

6 Likes

welcome to the forum and congratulations on approaching one year! lots of great threads on here so search around and i’m sure you’ll find a lot of beneficial stuff.

in my opinion i’ll take the title “recovering alcoholic” over “active alcoholic” any day!

i feel anything worth having is worth working for, and obviously you’re working on maintaining your sobriety real hard. maybe the fact it’s difficulty means you’re making a lot of tough changes which will lead to some real positives soon? maybe it’s time to add some new aspects into your recovery?

again, congratulations on your sobriety! keep at it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey Greg welcome.
I’m coming up to a year. And as said I’ve accepted the “recovering alcoholic” title. Let’s not beat around the bush here. It’s what I am. But it’s not defining who I am.
I see all the same daily "triggers " as you say. But I know it’s not for me.
I don’t drink.
I’m happy to let others do what they will.
I’d say try and work on the way you see alcohol in your life.
Personally, I’m not missing it, on the whole. Occasionally I think “ooh be nice” but then the next thought is “but you don’t drink” Blackcurrant and lemonade is just as nice tasting.

Welcome and well done on approaching a year! I’ve found that embracing the title (though it is not something I broadcast outside of those that I trust) has helped me, like @anon12657779 said. My sponsor says to me that she prays to be reminded of what it was like - for her, forgetting where she got to and where she will end up leads to complacency, which in turn leads to a death sentence. I used to think that discovering I was an alcoholic would be the worst thing that could happen to me. Turns out it is the best thing that has happened to me. And I am reminded that so much lies in our perception and thinking that we know things, when life really is a constant mystery and more will be revealed. :bird:

2 Likes

Why can’t I say things like this Ariel.
Spot on.

Doesnt seem your perspective has changed at all and all you have done is abstain from drinking for a year. It seems your fighting your way still. Who cares if its around everywhere. only you have the control if its a trigger or not. If just the sight of it is triggering your not fully done recovering yet. Have you been trying to do this on your own? Maybe a meeting or substance therapy would help.

3 Likes

Hi and welcome 🙋
My one year sober mark is soon to be too, when is yours? Mine is at 18 september.
I’m looking forward to it, but it gives mixed feelings too :thinking: I have to keep telling myself: focus on today, do not worry about the milestone or the days after that.
So I know how you feel I guess :pensive: