10 days of being sober!

Hi all! 10 days of sober living and though it’s been hard i have to say I am grateful. I’ve let alcohol take so much of me and have ruined relationships a long the way. It’s shown me who I don’t want to be anymore. I’m tired of the person I’ve become because of it and I’m tired of pretending I have things under control.
I downloaded this app 3 days into my sobriety and have found comfort in knowing I’m not alone in this. Its taken a lot for me to admit that I am not a normal person who can say yes to “just 1 drink” and it’s taken a lot to admit that I am an alcoholic, but I’m here today. I am sober and taking it one day at a time. It’s the best I can do and it’s what I will roll with so I can stay on this path.

10 Likes

This is all any of us can do. Keep getting after it!

1 Like

Hey welcome, Vanessa. There’s a lot of great people in this community who feel exactly the same way you do. Reach out whenever, somebody’s always around to talk. Glad your here.:v:

1 Like

Thank you! :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you, I appreciate it! :grin:

1 Like

Welcome!! And good job on your ten days. The first few weeks are the toughest and you are well on your way through them.

You are a normal person. Alcohol is an addictive substance and eventually anyone who drinks enough becomes addicted. Some stay in that addiction, especially if it’s effects are not too dramatic. Some stay in that addiction even though it’s effects are devastating.

And some of us identify that we need to make a change and we do the work in recovery. Once you can build new habits and work on the issues that made you want to drink, you can find peace and health.

I drank for 30 years for a variety of reasons. For the last 9 months I’ve worked hard to step away and break up with it. I’ve formed new habits and done a lot of emotional processing to come to grips with what drove me to drink. Of course at first I “had it under control”. And then it had me under control. Perhaps you have a similar story.

This is a very supportive community and there is a lot that can be learned here. I hope you find support here and keep working on the peace and health that you deserve.

I wish you the best!

2 Likes

@Vanessa517 Congratulations on your 10+ days! I just hit 10 days today and as inspiring as it is to see people hit much bigger milestones, it’s nice to see another one of us at the relative beginning and staying strong! I look forward to seeing more of your posts and updates!

Thank you for sharing a bit of your story with me.
Making the choice to step away from alcohol is the best decision I have ever made for myself. It has not been easy, but being 22 days sober now has shown me the life I want to live.
Reading the progress people have made has helped a lot. Knowing I’m not alone in this has helped tremendously. Again, thank you for taking the time to reply to me.

3 Likes

Hi! Thank you for the support. It is amazing to see the milestones that people have reached, but or small. We take it a day at a time and I hope I get to see you around here. We got this and we’re in it together! Hoping and reaching for better, healthier and happy days.

1 Like

Hey Vanessa! Day 20 for us! How you holding up? :slightly_smiling_face:

20+ days now! It’s going well so far. Some rough days, but also some good ones. How are you doing?

Cravings are low and manageable when my AV gets chatty lol. So far. By dinner time I’m a little moody and impatient and short tempered, and sometimes now and then I’m super sensitive and cry a little while I articulate as best I can why I’m suddenly upset. But I’m working my recovery and haven’t slipped up. Staying strong.

I’m glad to know you’re still here and you’re taking the steps to a life we probably thought we could never have. At least that was my thought process. I don’t know what keeps you going, but I know that when I think of having that drink, I remember the path of destruction I’d be going down. I don’t want to be there again. I hope we can continue to share our journey together.

2 Likes