10 days sober New Here!

Hello Everyone,

I am Menna. I am 21 years old and a marijuana addict. I have been using on and off for the past 4 years and having a hard time adjusting to life sober. I am not sure how I am gonna cope with all my problems when I am sober. Not like getting high solved them anyway. I have never admitted before that I am an addict so this is a huge step for me. I am surrounded by guilt and shame because of my actions before. I have done horrible things when I was on weed and other drugs like getting involved in multiple hit and runs, cops, jail, and accidents that almost got me killed. Despite popular belief, marijuana is the most dangerous drug out there because of how easy it is to let you in a whole world of other drugs and slowly ruin your life. I have all respect for the people that smoke but I realised it is not for me. I was away on vacation and it was easier to stay sober because the drug wasn’t around but now that I am back in Canada, marijuana is almost everywhere. I met a potential partner and I don’t want to scare him off, I don’t want my brother to see me high, i don’t wanna be the person that risks their lives and other people’s lives because of my uncontrollable marijauna use. I don’t wanna spend all my money on it that could be redirected to better purposes. I need helping hands to help me get out of this. I am gonna make a conscious effort not to smoke everyday. Please reach out to me, I would love to make new friends here.

Thank you everyone for reading this and hope you have a great day.

10 Likes

Hi it’s great to see you here and sharing your story. The first step has been taken, you have accepted that you have an addiction. Now you can work on it. I know what kind of silent killer marijuana is. The coffee shop is 3 doors away from me, I live in the Netherlands. So it was easy for me to smoke for a long time too. here the marijuana has become more and more intense and very strong in recent years. Before I got clean I also used other drugs but I’ve been through the same kind of situations that you’ve been through. I hear it a lot. These are often the consequences of drug use. It’s definitely not worth it and life clean is so much nicer. It makes it possible to solve your problems with a clear head. I’m not saying it’s easy, but living under the influence isn’t either. When you have given everything a place, you can enjoy the beautiful, normal things that we have not noticed under the influence. It is possible so keep going. Day by day. And keep sharing and asking for help if you can’t figure it out. good luck!

2 Likes

Hey !

Welcome and congratulations on taking taking the first step…which is the hardest…by admitting that your substance use is no longer safe or enjoyable.

I’m here for drinking but I will say I know TONS of people who are heavy marijuana smokers. So many of them really have a hard time without it. When I was younger I saw many young guys completely fall down in crime and their main drug of choice was weed.

It’s less socially acceptable in Australia (it’s still illegal here) than drinking but definitely not seen as life threatening which I know it to be.

Stay strong, find a support group. NA might be good just to meet others going through it. Never let others convince you it’s not a problem cause it’s weed. If it’s fucking your life up it’s a problem.

If you can, try see a recommended doctor for a mental health plan. Try find new hobbies and things to fill your time.

I know you can do it!

1 Like

Thank you so much for your support. I am trying very hard to stay clean for my family but I appreciate your honesty and hearing you are doing better now. I am gonna cling on to hope that things will only get better from here on.

1 Like

Thank you for your support. I appreciate the community here because all of you guys are so sweet and I wish you all the best. It is a great idea I reach out to my doctor and therapist as well as join narcotics anonymous. I will give them a try and let y’all know.

3 Likes

Congratulations on your 10 days, those are the hardest, including physical troubles. After that it’s more psychological.
I’ve tried to smoke weed only on weekends, or at night, it never worked. If I got ash or weed in my possession, I will smoke it, all day long until it’s gone. Then I’ll go back to the street dealers and buy whatever they got. It’s all or nothing for me. You speak like you’re gonna try to smoke but not everyday, I really hope it will work for you, and if it doesn’t, you know what you’ll have to do…
I’m glad I don’t live in a country where weed is legalized, really, this idea of a soft drug as they call it here irritates me. It is not. It’s very easy to find, France is number one in europe, but it’s not like you can buy it around the corner, or buy edibles, vape and all the stoner circus.
Recently I’ve smoked a few joints at a music festival, in 2 seconds I was back at it. Damn I hate myself sometimes. However, i’s a good reminder for me.
I wish you strength on your path :v:t2:

1 Like

You’re right it also annoys me that they call marijuana soft drugs in my country and it’s legal. When I look out my window now I see long lines in front of the shop. When I was 14, marijuana was very different than it is now, so 27 years ago. You can now safely call them hard drugs when you talk about strength. It’s all trash and so many problems come from marijuana because it is addictive just like any other hard drug. So what are they talking about here in the Netherlands with their recreational use. The clinics are full of marijuana users. And the problems as Menna describes them correspond to my problems as a result of coke use. But who am I! Anyway, we are in recovery, that’s what it’s all about and that’s where the focus should be. I do have an opinion as I just expressed but I can’t change everything so I’ll just start with myself!

1 Like

You’re right. Alcool is everywhere in France, on every table, especially in my winemaker family :grimacing:, and I don’t touch it either. Legal or illegal drugs, we’re the ones with the power to say no.
By the way it’s a fact, ash is so much stronger than before. French consumers/dealers call it “frappe”, meaning “hit”. Damn this is strong, it knocks you out.

2 Likes

Thank you for your support. I feel right now that I might need to use it in the future but all I can control is the present moment. I make a conscious choice not to let the substance affect me.

1 Like

This is wise :blush:
One day at a time. It’s easier to avoid the “i won’t smoke for the rest of my life? I’m scared” syndrome

You took ur 1st step and that’s admitting u have a problem and want better for urself. God bless u.