12 Step Info

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with 12 steps, recovery meetings, etc? The ministry that I am apart of is trying to incorporate this in order to help addicts and families but they are all new to it. I myself am only 4 months sober but am helping in any way I am able. I need some good input on this. Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated. Not only for the ministry but for my sobriety as well.

Well, maybe start with the Big Book, and attend a few step meetings. The steps are wonderful, having someone guide you through them is life changing.

2 Likes

Could the Ministry just direct people to AA (or NA or whatever) and alanon?
Keep it simple.

4 Likes

What exactly is the Big Book? How would I be able to get it exactly?

It is the AA book. I downloaded it and its on my phone. Book stores carry it, AA meetings usually have them.

People that come to the ministry generally do go to step meetings but the ministry wants to be educated on how things work with the 12 steps in order to help keep them in recovery along with preaching the gospel. They want to help in any way that they can.

I don’t actually participate in AA but have read the Big Book and it gave me a very good understanding of the principles and how things work. I downloaded it onto my phone at first and then purchased a copy from Amazon online

1 Like

Perhaps they could attend some open AA or NA meetings and hear for themselves how it is working in the lives of alcoholics and addicts.

3 Likes

Starting a generic 12 step program, I’m not sure. It’s been done. I believe there are books on it.

I’d second other’s suggestions. Perhaps reach out to the local chapter of AA or NA, or attend an open meeting?

While the groups have no monopoly on that model of program, they do it very well. AA has shown me the path to a whole new life.

They aren’t allied with any specific religion or sect, for what it’s worth. Helping others find recovery is the purpose though! :blush:

2 Likes

Do you have specific questions? It might be easier to answer that way. I know there’s quite a few of us who have been through the steps at least once and practice them on a daily basis. The 12 steps and 12 Traditions is a great book that gets more involved with the steps. Google your local AA service center to get a copy.

Celebrate Recovery is a Christian 12-Step recovery fellowship with several meetings in my area, looking into their materials might provide an idea of what 12 steps are as applied in ministry setting.

1 Like

I want to thank everyone for their suggestions on this and I’m going to look into getting The Big Book and go from there. I am very grateful for all of you and your help. Have a blessed day.

1 Like

go to a meeting Listen to Somebody share who’s of the same sex once you find somebody who you like what they have to say you ask that person to sponsor you-- you read the big book with that person - - not by yourself!! I do not recommend reading the book by yourself… the steps are in the book your sponsor will help you and that is how you do it and that is how it’s done - - but you first need to go to meetings and you need to meet some people and find a sponsor and that is how you start working a program of recovery. If you want to talk more send me a direct message I work the steps three times in 4 years :heart:

2 Likes

Maybe ask the people who go to step meetings for info , they prob have a sponsor who guides them through .wish you well

1 Like

Great answer !