14 Days sober. What are some pros and cons of attending AA?

I just have to look around my home group to know it works. A lot of people there have been sober since I was a twinkle in my dad’s eye and I’m 32, so yeah. I’m gonna do what they do, because Dereks anonymous didn’t work.

2 Likes

My Monday night group has predominantly people with a minimum of 15 years. The first Friday I got here I saw a woman pick up her 50 year chip I was like holy shit she has been sober for 10 years before I was even born. There IS a solution. I’m just glad I finally surrendered and started doing what these REALLY NICE old people keep telling me to do.

3 Likes

There was a time where I didn’t think I would live to see 40, and now I see people picking up 40 year chips who have the same story as me.

2 Likes

There are no cons to hitting a meeting, it’s better than hitting a vein. I’ve dealt with this disease almost my whole life and the meetings help us to remember were we came from an that all it takes is a moment for us to end up back out there doing the same of shit. As addicts we seem to forget all that bad shit after we start getting a lil clean time. Things like “ it wasn’t that bad “ or “ I had some good times “ our minds will try to trick us if we allow it too. The meetings keep us grounded in that way to were you can go and listen to someone who just getting clean and hear all that shit again that you went through so you can say I don’t want nothing to do with that anymore. I hear al the time ppl say well everyone there knows me and wat I’m going through an I don’t want to full with that but , if they really want to help they won’t care anyhow!!!