15 Days and Some Questions

This is now the longest I’ve gone without drinking alcohol in 5 years.
I have had NA beer which allowed me to realize, I really like the flavor of beer. Beer never got me hammered and I have always been a Hard A or champagne kinda gal. I always liked the flavor of beer. I’m happy with the NA kind so much more than the regular crap!
I’m not really missing the alcohol. There have been a few cravings here and there but, the feeling of waking up sober and happy is so much better than any buzz I could have.
How far along in the journey is everyone else? How are things? What have you learned and what have you still to learn?

1 Like

Hi!

So happy that you are finding a path.

The working of the addicted brain:
The Non Alc beer is still beer. It triggers the same areas in your brain with one big difference.
The brain won’t get the satisfaction they are awaiting.
Your brain will get rebellious on the lack of alcohol in the drink. And it will be much harder to resist when you are still taking the substitute.

Please watch the Roadmap to recovery (search in the forum) to ik understand how that works.

1 Like

Today is 15 days for me too we’re sober twins :grin:

1 Like

Congrats to us!!! We can do it! How are you feeling? Is this your first run at the sober life?

1 Like

I’m feeling good. The weekends are really difficult for me. I’ve immersed myself in quit lit, I’m doing Annie Graces 30 day alcohol challenge and I’ve become part of the online community women for sobriety and should be getting my begginers work set in the mail today from them. Along with this app. I do all this because this is absoluty not my first go round lol. I’m about to be 28 and I’ve been regularly using anything to get high or drunk since I was 13. The first time I was drunk I was 4. The longest I’ve ever been sober from everything is either a pregnancy (I have 3 kids) or jail. I’m a high functioning addict. I used to be an iv user of meth heroin and cocaine but I’ve been clean from that since 12/5/12. And the last couple years I’ve had more attempts than I can count to be sober from alcohol. That’s why I’m doing so much this time, my attempts before on my own never worked so I’m trying something different to make it stick this time.
How are you feeling about it all?

3 Likes

Thank you for sharing that with me and everyone reading. It shows so much growth on your part as someone that has troubles with substances to be able to talk about it so openly.
I am feeling good. My mother and father were addicts and unlike my mother who left when I was 10, my father got sober and so I’ve grown up with someone in recovery all my life. I used to go to meetings with him and group outings and bbqs so hearing people’s stories gave me a lot of perspective. I had a coke problem for a year, hit rock bottom and never touched it ever again. I am a very driven person and when I commit to something, I do it.
I have given into drinking over the last four years since I lost my sister who helped raise me. Every day I wake up with more piece of mind and a more level head now that I’ve stopped drinking. I am feeling committed to this life style and I am realizing daily that I have problems that lie outside of alcohol and once I deal with those issues I will be even more whole. I’m proud of us both :heart::heart:

1 Like

That’s awesome girl. To be honest though it sounds like your riding the pink cloud. Ride it as long as you can. I think it’s safe to say a big majority of us with substance abuse problems grew up seeing it. My dad was in and out of my life until I was 13 when he moved to California and got clean, but he’s still an alcoholic. High functioning. My mom is an alcoholic and my step dad who helped raise me was an alcoholic and in and out of recovery with drugs. He died in prison on his 4th dui from lung cancer when I was 17. So the life of substance abuse is not foreign to me lol. I’m sorry your mom left, that must have been really hard. And I’m so sorry about your sister. I don’t talk to my sister anymore. I met her when I was 13 and when I was 15 she introduced me to meth. She got clean for ten years then went off the rails bad and I don’t talk to her now. I quit doing drugs and smoking when I got pregnant with my first child. But truth is, I just switched substances, to something legal and stopped getting in trouble. So here we are. Alcohol haha. It sounds like maybe you did the same kind of? I’ve actually found quitting drinking to be much harder than getting clean.
So the pink cloud is sort of like a high when you quit drinking or using. You get excited and motivated and your in it. But the pink cloud ends and you do come down from that and that’s where the struggles start. Do you have a plan set in motion or are you doing anything to stay sober when that happens? Or when you have a tough time?

1 Like

I have no shame in sharing my story, but if you would like you can always private message me :blush:

1 Like

I like this naked mind, I thought Annie Grace’s book was very good. I’ve tried so many times at getting sober, always failing. I read her book and I instantly felt so much better after. And all the liminal points are awesome. I obviously still have a long road ahead, but I’m 16 days sober now after reading the book. And I’m getting other help as well. But glad to see someone else doing that challenge in here too:)

3 Likes

Oh for sure! I’ve tried getting sober so many times and it never worked. Did I honestly want to be sober? Hell yea, but I wasn’t willing to do anything it takes to get sober. I fought myself and wasn’t honest about the problem I had. So this time I was like…ok Emily…heres the deal lol. So I’ve been reading lots of quit lit. Memoirs are great as well. And I found a program that works for me that’s not AA. So far so good lol. I feel better about sticking to the road when I’m actually working my recovery and not just being sober. Congrats on your 16 days! Your almost our sober twin lol.

2 Likes

I honestly am just taking it one day at a time. I’m on medication that makes me PRETTY ZONED OUT so when it comes to night time I’m more excited about sleeping and relaxing than drinking like I used to be. I guess I will see what happens when those feelings start to call.
Thank you for the condolences. And thank you again for speaking your truth and telling your story of your path here. What do you like to do in place of drink or when you get the itch?

1 Like

Sober Triplets!!

1 Like