15 months today!

Hey there! Im 15 months sober today guys! Hell yea! Just wanted to share that… Maybe give someone a little hope for today!

What ALL do you do to stay sober? To actually get days, months, or years even.

I can only share my experience, strength, and hope with you guys…
When i was 24 years old, i started my recovery process, im 29 y.o. now… For me it was definately a learning process, thats for sure, i didnt get it the first time around, nor the 2nd or 3rd, etc… 6 in patients rehab facilities, 5 detoxs, 4 IOPs, numerous NA, AA, SMART meetings, 2 psych wards, and hospitalizations on top all that. And after all that, you’d think like come on, just get it together already. But for me, it wasnt that easy! If it was easy, everyone would be doing it right lol. I just couldnt figure out why i kept relapsing, over and over again. So what was i going to do differently this time? Because doing the same ole things, just werent working. So what should i do? At the time i felt alone in this. I just couldnt… i just couldnt go another day using… So i needed to ask for help. This business of living in insanity was not going to continue because it wasnt working. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. And boy, was my life insane. I was sorry to be alive. I was miserable using but miserable without. Thats a shitty existence right there. Wanting to stop but not knowing how to stop but having to use to not be sick, ughhh. What the hell was i doing? I was a slave to this disease! And i wanted my life back and i wanted to be the one too take it back.

But, Here are the things i do to recover. Today i go to AA Meetings, after going to AA, NA, & SMART meetings, i decided on AA in my town… I jad to check numerous ones out tgough to figure out what worked for me. and got involved in the program this time. I didnt just sit in the corner and keep to myself like i use to. I work the 12 Steps and ive finally gotten past Step 3, i have a sponspor, i have a support group, i see a therapist, i see a psych for antidepressants, i pray and have a higher power, i help someone else, reach out to the newcomer, have this app and try to continue to do the next right thing.
Dont think that when i first started doing AA meetings, i got everything perfectly. Hell, When i first came in to the program i was over whelmed kinda. So my sponsor simplified things for me,
Dont drink
Go to meetings
Do the next right thing
I could manage those 3 things. I couldnt have done everything i do all at once in the begininng. But, Once you get a little time, you need new things to do… We dont want to get complacent… Take what you want and leave the rest.
People in AA loved me until i could love myself. The program has given me a life worth living today! So going from miserable to happy, what a difference! Amd i really didnt expect for such a simple program to change my life, but it did!

9 Likes

Congrats and thank you for sharing this.
I am having a hard time today and this definitely inspired me

1 Like

Chuck-norris-approves

3 Likes

Great share and congratulations. Great feel good story and motivation to do the next right thing.

1 Like

Congrats sober twin!!