173 days down but BIG challenges ahead

Hi folks,
So far so good…
Not even a thought of drinking. But in five weeks we head home to the USA for a visit to our families. We have not been home since 2014. So that means lots of dinners, bbq, etc. Fortunately my family doesn’t really drink but the other side is all about it. I’m jinking of just coming out straight with it to them that I don’t drink period. Some might give me the old self righteous moniker, others will think.im from Mars. They don’t know.know . of my stumbles and struggles. My devoted amazing beautiful wife does and she is always there and understands. But not sure how I’ll handle the pressure and possibly disappointed friends and family when they see I’m. Not.the rock star strong guy they always thought I was. Sorry for the ramble just needing some advice.
J

2 Likes

The most important thing is, you realize you have a problem with alcohol and you also have someone who will stand by you. I think maybe coming clean about your addiction, may help. You will be surprised the reaction you will get. I told my in laws about my addiction to pain pills and they surprisingly told me they were there for me and helped me big time through the withdrawl. Just remember how far you have come and remember how you were when you drank. Remember to post in here often someone in here will be here to help you. Good luck.

Thanks Tosh.
I’m known as a non drinker by my friends and workmates where I and now.
If I can tell them the family should be ok. Just need to harness my inner super hero.
J

Alright @bolonga I’m going to pay closer attention now that I know we are litter mates! I can’t lose you! :grinning:

I had a family situation recently with extended family where some of them I would not necessarily want to hang out with – they also happened to be the drinkers. I took breaks and texted people during the party. I also went on a destination weekend with alcohol present. As in on the counter and available 24/7.

I would have some tools at the ready that you can use. Can you take 5-10 minutes and go for a short walk? Have someone that you can text, or say the serenity prayer. Hang out with us on TS. Do what you need to do. 6 months is worth hanging onto!!

Great advice. Thanks.