18 Months of Freedom

Today is 18 months sober, 18 freaking months. When I got sober, it was an impossible dream, it was the windmills beyond the bars.

I was a bottom feeding, do anything to get drunk, neglectful, lazy, abusive, manipulative, heartless, selfish son of a bitch as a drunk. Terrible things, I’ve done them. Longing to end it all, absolutely wanted to. Nihilistic, that was the currency of my existence.

Today I am a much better father, husband, son, brother, worker, friend, a much better human. I care about people, I have love for people and for myself again, I have dreams that I work for and aren’t just wishes upon a star but are achievable. Today I am Honest, Openminded and Willing.

If I can get and stay sober, ANY ONE OF YOU CAN. If I can be happy, productive and comfortable in my own skin, ANY ONE OF YOU CAN.

Throw the kitchen sink at your sobriety, at yourself. There wasn’t a thing I didn’t do, AA, both meetings and services and the events they throw, IOPs, therapy both couple and individual, dropped a lot of friends people I have trusted and known for over a decade, walked/exercised, found a higher power whom I still talk to, I became part of this great community. There’s always more work to be done. Do the stuff that makes you anxious, the uncomfortable stuff, if you only do the comfortable stuff you’ll stunt your personal growth.

Keep trudging folks, you are the key to your own lock.

47 Likes

fantastic! :slight_smile: congratulations friend, keep at it!

1 Like

Brilliant achievement. You have and continue to put in the work and deserve any rewards you reap :+1::slightly_smiling_face:
Also a nice, inspiring message to those of us new to this :+1:

4 Likes

Inspiring! Thanks you for sharing. And a huge congrats :grinning:

3 Likes

I have loved watching your growth since I’ve been around here. And I appreciate your wisdom. Thanks for sharing your recovery with us :bird:

4 Likes

Great job on your 18 months!! It is a pleasure watching you grow!

3 Likes

Wow, you’re an inspiration @CaptAZ. Thank you for posting this. I can’t begin to dream of that kind of goal yet but hopefully, one day…:crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

It all starts with 1 day, today. I still only do what I can today to stay sober, if I do it today, I have a great chance to do it again tomorrow.

6 Likes

Congrats! Many more 24 hrs to come!

3 Likes

Great achievement @CaptAZ. You are an example of why sobriety is so bloody brilliant! Well done and enjoy the rest of your sober journey :+1:

4 Likes

Congratulations @CaptAZ!

1 Like

Hell yes man! 18 months congratulations

3 Likes

Congrats! That’s awesome! Freedom it is! Keep on keeping on! :raised_hands::heart::star_struck:

1 Like

You were (and continue to be) one of the ones that I really was inspired by when I first joined this forum. I have always precieved you as a kind hearted, considerate man that is working ALL THINGS towards recovery and I truly admire you for that. You reached out to me when I had gone dark for a minute and pulled me back here to positivity… you have had a very active role in my own recovery, so THANK YOU. You keep doing you, because you are freaking
awesome, and an integral member of this community :hugs::yellow_heart::metal:

8 Likes

Nice one @CaptAZ. It’s been great watching you over the last 81/2 months bud. You’ve inspired me no end. You and your good wife have been through the wringer but you are a family again.
Keep being you and I’ll keep watching.
Sound voyeuristic that! :hugs::grinning:

3 Likes

Yay!!! Congratulations!!! :slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile:

1 Like

18 months of getting better at getting better each and every day! Keep showing us how it’s done!

3 Likes

@CaptAZ - Your experience, strength and hope have comforted and inspired me since the day I joined this community. Thank you for your honesty and courage as you have shared your story and your successes with us. I am so very happy for you and your family. Your children will remember how hard you are working for them - and for yourself. Congratulations!

1 Like

It’s getting to be a theme! You are an inspiration, as living proof of the miracle that can transform us. Thank you so much, brother. Also, awesome beard!

3 Likes

You are the key to your own lock…I love it.

Congratufreakinglations buddy! You’re always a voice I appreciate here and am so very glad that we both found this app. I hope you get to do something fun today❤️

2 Likes