1st ever attempt at sobriety. Here goes

Never attempted not to drink whole heartedly before. Had some feeble half arsed attempts in the past but knew deep down I would be shortly nursing a huge hangover and missing work due to the drink.

Ive just got back from a trip to my beloved Spain and its opened my eyes a lot. I would love to start a life there one day soon, I currently live in the UK. While in Spain I came close to death. Its really made me sit back and take a long look at myself.

I feel I’m lucky, I have a two wonderful children a decent job a good family and I know what I want in life. I’m single but enjoy the freedom that gives. The only thing ruining my life is alcohol and I know that. It’s got to go. So here I am. Attempting to leave behind hedonism and that drinking lifestyle to save my life…money…and secure my future dreams.

Sorry for a long post. Was unsure what to write or if even to write anything at all. Tony.

39 Likes

Hi Anthony; I’m glad you found this forum and stepped in! Lots of great people here with a ton of support.
You do have alot to be grateful for!

3 Likes

Welcome and glad your here. This site is amazing and you will learn a lot from others sharing their stories. How old are your children?

2 Likes

Welcome Tony, glad you found us. You sound like you’re starting with the right frame of mind, get comfortable and have a look around, there’s lots of wonderful people and advice here to help you along :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

2 boys Max 14 and Alfie 12. They have obviously seen me at my highs and lows. Definitely a motivator. Thanks for the welcome.

1 Like

Thanks for the welcome. I’m 2 days in so far. Thanks for that advise. I will do that.

1 Like

Best of luck Tony, dont apologise about the post, it’s what the forum is about.

1 Like

I will do that. Thanks.

We are all here for you whenever you need someone to lean on! So please don’t forget to check in and let us know if your feeling vulnerable. Sobriety is a long journey but it doesn’t have to be taken alone.

2 Likes

hi, tony! welcome :grinning: there are so many good resources members use to stay sober so please seek those out in the search feature on this website/app. i just got back from 2 weeks in spain. it’s such a magical place. hop on here whenever you want to engage with sober folks, or distract yourself from a craving. :dizzy:

2 Likes

Hi Tony! Well done in making the decision to cut booze outta your life! My DOC was booze. It’s a difficult journey, you must be kind to yourself. Welcome to this awesome family. So much support and great advice whenever it’s needed. We’re here anytime, just read and post, it really does help xx

1 Like

Maybe try a meeting Tony wish you well

Welcome Tony. The first week was the hardest for me. This group is filled with amazing supportive people. Check the app frequently, post whatever is on your mind, read stories of others in the same position. You recognizing the problem is the first step. If your craving come here, try an AA meeting. Working out does wonders But it wasn’t feasible for me at first. Ice cream, sodas, and sweets helped me in the beginning. Stay busy. You can do this- best of luck

2 Likes

Thanks so much for all the positive remarks. I had never heard of this app before today but glad I’m here. I dont remember the last time I went 3 or 4 days without a drink. Just to have 1 night off a week would be the norm if I had 2 nights off then that would be rare but i would usually make up for it after by having a huge binge.

I was away in spain and whether it was the sun and far to much vodka or I had been spiked which is what I believe happened anyway last thing I remember was stumbling fast sideways into a busy road. Next thing i remember it’s the morning and I’m in my hotel room with a gash on my head and arms both wrists are in massive pain. I don’t remember a thing. No idea how I got back to my room. It could have been so much worse.

That to me was a wake up call. I’ve known for a long time I have a real problem. I’m 39 now and know it’s been going on far to long. Heavy drinking for the past 20 years…enough is enough.

Very glad to have found this place for me to start talking about it as I’ve never spoken about it before.

Thanks everyone. Hope I can be of support also.

12 Likes

Welcome to the group man and what a great post to start you off , we have all been there , we all think about it but never really act on it untill something either catastrophic happens or we are forced into facing our addiction face on .I’m sorry to hear that what happened in Spain, but you are here now and taking the first steps forward and what you do now is up to you. You said it yourself you have 2 wonderful children man make them your reason to stick with this ,I’m 11 months in man and I wish to god man i had done this 15 years ago …you have done a great job writing your first post and I hope to see more from you in the future, keep it up man :muscle::muscle::grin:

5 Likes

@sylentwar Thanks. Means a lot. I been working my way through the threads on here and the FAQ’s I’m feeling quite emotional to be honest but inspired too.

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing. I’m almost two months sober so I’m in the beginning stages as well. Your welcome to message me if you’d like. :+1::+1:

4 Likes

This is all normal and good. Welcome!!

Welcome Anthony! This place is a great resource in your journey. Please read and post as needed, we are all here to help! The folks here are some of the best around. Since the forums are world wide, someone is usually around and on 24 hrs a day if you need to talk or vent. Again, welcome and remember you aren’t here alone. We are ALL facing some form of addiction and are on our own paths yet they are one in the same. Good for you for taking the first step toward your new life and I wish you continued success. My name is Jim and I have 63 days, please don’t be a stranger.

4 Likes

Honestly mate this forum is amazing ,there is so much here covering every angle of recovery , whether you are at the beginning or 10 years in, I’ve been following this forum for 11 months now and it’s been a key influence in staying clean and sober. all I will say to you man is what you will see so much on here and that’s…1 day at a time , we are all here to help and give advice based on our own experiences and journeys, you have taken the first step and that’s recognising :muscle::grin::grin:

2 Likes