1st week rocky start

Hi everyone,

I am new to recovery and new to this app. It was suggested to me by a relative who has a year sober under their belt to download this as an additional resource, so here i am. This is my first week in AA and I’ve already had reset this app 4 times so it’s been a rocky start so far. But i hope by utilizing the program and this community right here that i can make it through this. I am an alcoholic and addict and so far nothing i have done has been able to work. But i am definitely not giving up. Thanks in advance for anyone who takes the time to reach out.

-T

8 Likes

One day at a time is my approach. It is my job to put my sober head on my pillow tonight. Early on, I broke the day into hours or minutes or 15 seconds. I can do anything,literally anything, for 15 seconds. And I recognized that I was sleeping 8 hours a day, leaving only 16 hours to stay sober. And most of those were tied up dealing with life. It was my faulty thinking that devalued the one day I had, I convinced myself that a drink would make me feel better and I could start over tomorrow. You know what really made me feel better? Waking up and knowing I had a string of days behind me and only one day in front of me.

Your better self or higher power will keep you sober if you let it. May you have blessings on your house.

6 Likes

Many people (including me) had rocky starts just like you describe. It’s okay.

You might have a new mindset now. It sounds like you do. I found AA was the only thing that stuck and found this app and forum about a month later when I had 1 day sobriety (again :wink:).

You want this so keep doing what works. Before you know it 1 day turns into 2 and so on. Things will change and you will start to feel stronger.

Progress not perfection.

Welcome T.

3 Likes

Hey, I’m new, on day 3,with this app, I’ve only ever been sober maybe a month or so the last 7 or 8 years doing it by myself,. Last month I crossed the days on a calendar how many I wasn’t drinking in a row, was 4 days, then it just goes back to daily, first thing in morning on day off, till almost passed out at work and found this app and now meditate twice a day, I gotta get this now, this app keeps me thinking of keeping sober and why I cannot drink. Thanks, thunbs up.

3 Likes

Hello @Tmiller32! The next time you feel tempted, open this app & read for :30 min. Actually set a timer. The craving will pass. Our shiny faces are good deterrents. And make an AA meeting everyday :+1:t3:

6 Likes

Welcome T. I second what @BondJaneBond said. Reading in this app helps calm me down when I get triggered. It’s kind of like a meeting whenever you need it.

My schedule makes it tough for me to go to daily meetings so early on I did a lot of phone meetings. I recommend them.

Keep coming back.

1 Like

You can do it! Don’t get discouraged by the number of times you’ve slipped. None of us can afford that. God has given you this new chance, and what you’re doing right now matters far more than anything that happened in the past.