1week sober

Iv been one week sober.
I’m struggling with not using. This is the hard point where you can be tempted to go back too square one.

Using has destroyed my life, destroyed my relationship and all the trust between us.

Has anyone else been through this?

14 Likes

I daresay all of us have at some point.

You’re in the right place though. You need only get through today. This hour, this minute, this breath. Now is the time to remember all those reasons you stopped.

I can say, holding onto my sobriety things have only had the chance to get better. Picking up, it was always certain to get worse.

Stick around here when those urges strike, maybe find a support group in your area. They can help us put those pieces back together.

The urges will pass. Each time we say no we get stronger. If we stay sober, we’re ready to make the best use of each and every moment. Those moments add up. Congrats on 1 week!

9 Likes

Welcome Gavin! Yes, many of us have been exactly where you are and picking back up never solved anything for many of us. @Eke had wonderful advice! That has been the path that has worked for me as well, doing those same things is what kept me sober in the beginning. Whatever it takes to not use still keeps me sober today. Doing that has sure beaten the alternatives for me.

4 Likes

I have adhd, and iv been using weed too sleep.
My partner hates it, and iv tried too quit 6 times before, but keep going back to it.
Right now I’m looking for a place of my own (we own a house together atm) so she can work on her and I can work on me (her suggestion).

Iv been too the doc, Iv medication too get too sort the adhd out (which as it turns out is amphetamines)…
And iv counciling to get too try to help me deal with the consequences of me doing this,
Too my physical health, mental health and my entire life.

Feels like everything has just exploded in my life and iv been really suicidal for the last week.

Is it the drugs? Is it the fact that I have little left of my relationship? Is it the fact that my brain chemistry is resetting…

I’m just really confused, fucked up and feeling so alone.

2 Likes

Welcome! Most of us have. Guess what…if you stay sober, you never have to go through it again.

8 Likes

Welcome to the community :blue_heart:

I have certainly been through the struggles and still struggle at times.

There’s a sick pull back to square one that always seems like it’s justifiable but the result is always the same. You wish you didn’t.

There’s so much to gain by staying sober, especially if the latter is destroying the life around you. Keep asking questions and practicing sobriety, it’ll make all the difference.

3 Likes

There’s for sure an adjustment period. It’ll take some time for the mind and body to adjust, and then a little more time for us to get used to it too.

As @Thirdmonkey says, if you can stick to it for today though, this can be the last time you ever have to go through it. Keep working with the doctors. Have faith it gets better. And you need not feel alone in this. Stick around here, read some other threads, maybe find some local support groups.

It isn’t easy, but it will pass if we just stay sober today.

3 Likes

This…All…Day…Long…keep coming back. Participate, listen, read, have fun.

3 Likes

Right now I’m going through withdrawal…
It’s like when your drive too fast over a bump in the road and your heart jumps inside your chest…

3 Likes

I might say too, if they prescribed you anything and things are feeling especially physically or mentally rough, don’t hesitate to call the doctor and tell them how you’re doing. They may have important advice to help you in making adjustments.

Even a doctor cannot see the future perfectly. It’s really important to keep them in the loop as you work through it together.

2 Likes

So well said. Thank you! Could not agree more. Every day is a victory.

2 Likes

I am half a week sober and still going through withdrawals. I know I will reach that point where the temptation is so high, soon. I’ve been through it several times. But the only way out is through. Get through it. Don’t take that first hit. Not today. Not this minute. This too shall pass, and it will save you from a lot of regrets. Cravings are the worst things ever, at least they seem to be, but they always, always, pass. Don’t focus on them, don’t give them attention they don’t deserve. For me, the best thing to do is recognize them, then tell it to someone out loud, and then go get some distraction. Don’t focus on it, but also don’t fight it too much. Kinda let them be, but not let them have the star part in the movie in your brain. They can be this little side role everyone is always forgetting about until they pop up and do something annoying.

In the end, you are the one who decides whether or not you will take that first hit. You’re in control now. You’ve got the power. Don’t let that monster called addiction sneak into your mind and tell you it has all the power, because it doesn’t anymore. You’re clean now. And that’s the best you can be. The cravings and urges will pass, whether you take that first hit or not. If you do, you will always regret it. And if you don’t, you will feel stronger and prouder each time.

We’re here to win this battle! We can all do it. So can you. Just keep holding on.

Edit: also, brain chemistry does take some time, as well as sleep schedules and everything. But it will always be worth it in the end.
And I can only say, in my experience, everything else around us gets better when we get clean as well, including relationship stuff. Not saying it’s gonna be a happy ever after life for sure, but somehow when we get clean, we get what we need and what’s best for us. Have some faith.

3 Likes

So, now is the time to plan. What actions will you take to beat that craving? What do you need from us?

1 Like

Hope you are doing okay @Gavin_arm .

1 Like

Today iv got a killer sore head and I’m craving like hell!
Withdrawal is killing me today!

2 Likes

I dont really know.
I’m quite confused

1 Like

But you’re here and you’re sober Gavin! Addiction is panicking as it sees itself on the losing side in the battle for your soul, and is throwing all it has at you. Don’t give in! You’re here asking for help which is already a big one. You’re not alone! We’re here to fight this fight with you. Craving is not a demand that has to be met by giving in. Craving is you battling addiction. And you’re doing it! Keep in contact, keep talking, don’t give in to addiction’s voice. You’re doing much better than you think friend. Keep going!

1 Like

I was the same way. Just keep coming back. Come here before you drink. There is so much advice…just keep coming back!

1 Like

Lots of water. Glad you are still fighting.

Is it normal to feel like death is the only way out?
My partner (kinda) wants me to find my own place, I have no money saved too get my own place. I feel trapped, and like not being here may be my only way out. Like it would give her the freedom she wants, let me escape the fear of being alone…
Iv never lived on my own before and it absolutely petrifies me…
My job is hell, my life feels like its crumbling around me and all I want is too take away the pain iv caused her with this addiction… The lack of trust from her just hurts and all I want is too stop it, but I can’t.