2 weeks…again! But this time it’s different

Today marks 2 weeks of sobriety. This is not the first time, I’ve been here before. The difference is that every time before this I cut alcohol out of my life using excises like “I’m on a diet” “I’m just detoxing from certain things” “I’m training for a race”. This time, no excuses. I just don’t want to drink. It’s not an option for me. I just came back from my first vacation without alcohol and it was amazing. I’m preparing myself for the holidays and feel determined to stay sober. I have stuff for Shirley temples, alcohol free beer and wine and kombucha (my favorite substitute) so that I can have fun with mocktails and not feel like I’m missing out. I’m not sure how to explain it but I just feel different this time. This is how I want to live my life. I hope you all are staying on track with your sobriety. One day at a time and we’ll get there. The support of this group helps make me feel like I’m not alone. It’s nice to know that others get it when friends and family can’t relate. Love to all!

8 Likes

That’s how I was when I quit in October of 2021.

I highly recommend that you read “This Naked Mind” by Annie Grace. It’s available on audio too.

Her book may help you make a decision that can support your sobriety for your life.

I wish you the best and I can assure you that being sober is excellent!

4 Likes

Hi! This is how I am feeling too. Not my first time in this path, but this time I’m making solid foot prints. I’ve heard that all too familiar voice creep in and whisper stupid things about just one drink, but I have a roar that answers that quite literally yells, “No! Never question the decision! You are not permitted!” Sometimes I am indeed talking to myself, but I’m sober and determined to do the work it takes to stay that way, even if it means looking like a fool in Trader Joes. Hey, drunk me is a worse look.

2 Likes

Congrats on 2 weeks! I second the recommendation @LAB has on This Naked Mind. It helped me shift my perception on alcohol and was really huge for my sobriety. We are not deprived of anything in sobriety but alcohol was depriving us if a sober, happy, healthy life. Best wishes and happy holidays

3 Likes

Third vote from me for This Naked Mind. It was one of the most important things I read in my early sobriety.

Congrats on 2 weeks and I’m glad to hear all your motivation! It’s inspiring :muscle:

1 Like