2 weeks sober advice

Any advice for someone who needs to quit indefinitely? Ive gone 16 days and I’m actually really good, but maybe that’s what scares me a bit? I wasn’t a full blown buuut I was a mega partier and drank a far bit after work, lost my relationship, friends and got super mentally unwell. I also was pre diagnosed with bipolar 2 and waiting for that to be finalised. So this sense of having to create a new life is looming, I’m ready but scared. Where do I start? I’m just ranting, any advice?

6 Likes

Thank you that was actually really supportive I appreciate that. Good idea about the two I know they do go hand in hand as the impulsiveness goes with the bipolar part. Thank you so much x

1 Like

Don’t think of it as indefinitely. Early in my recovery, I would struggle breathing when thinking about not gaming ever again. That’s a scary thought. But I can manage one day. If I think, I won’t game for the next 24 hours after waking up, I can easily manage. And the next day I do the same thing and so on.

3 Likes

This is exactly how I’ve done it so far.

Just one day at a time; don’t look too far ahead because it can really be too much to handle. Just focus on not drinking for today and eventually being sober will be the new normal for you.

It’s much easier said than done but just remember “one day at a time”

5 Likes

Today. You start with today, right here, right now. Today is the only day we have. Keeping our focus on the present allows us to relax about what will happen in the future. Today we are sober and as you said, that feels really good. Be present in today and sober in today. Do the same tomorrow. I find guided meditations on being present help me stay in the present. :heart:

5 Likes

This is great!

2 Likes

Thank you, I have a huge tendency to plan too far ahead and not focus on the small. One day at a time

2 Likes

Thank you for sending this I will have a read. I’m blown away by everyone support

1 Like

Guided meditations is a really good idea!

1 Like

I really like Michael Sealys sleep meditations too :blush: haven’t listened in a while but I feel like this was a timely reminder to jump back in.

2 Likes

Welcome and good job on staying sober for 16 days. If you can do 16 days, you can do forever. Why? Because you know you can stay sober today. You have 16 “todays” as proof.

Sobriety became possible for me, when I embraced the thought of never drinking again. I’d had short quits or a week, two weeks, even a month, but I always left the door open a crack when it came to drinking again…and all it took was that first drink. Soon I was right back where I was. A “high functioning” alcoholic missing out on so much of what life has to offer.

One day, I woke up with my usual hangover, saw the disappointment and sadness in my wife’s eyes, and I decided I never wanted to drink again. To do this I would have to say “no” to one drink…the drink that matters: the first drink.

If I say “no” to this one drink, there can’t be a second or third or eighth. I remain sober. As long as I don’t take the first drink, alcohol has no power over me, but if I take that drink, I give my power to the alcohol.

It’s been 1171 days since my last drink. I did this by saying “no” to one drink. Somewhere along the way, I became a non-drinker, rather than a recovering alcoholic. I won’t drink, because I don’t drink, and I plan to be this way forever.

4 Likes

My son dangerously partied all through college and things went bad. Really bad. Then we got his bi polar diagnosis. He tried to beat it on his own terms. Otherwise ignoring it and continue doing the same ol same ol. He finally got tired of waking up in strange lock down hospitals not knowing where he was. It was a fucking nightmare.
Then he got the help he needed.
He went to meetings twice a day to stay sober. Be for about a month or 2.
He took his meds.
He learned the hard way to stay on his meds.
He finished college.
He went to graduate school.
He got married.
He has a beautiful wife.
And now he is a licensed therapist in Texas.
Stay sober. Stay on your meds.
You can live a great life.
And you know what? Your worth it. And you deserve it.
:pray:t2::heart:

9 Likes

Thank you :heart: