2 Years on the Sunny Side of the Hill

2 years ago my life was complete chaos.

In the few months and days leading up to getting sober I had been arrested for felony domestic violence, we had been evicted, I was involuntarily committed to a mental health center by way of handcuffs, my own mom had actively tried to get me fired from the job she helped me get almost 10 years beforehand, my kids were placed in foster care, I left my wife, and none of my own family wanted anything to with me.

I deserved every bit of the pain, because I was the one inflicting all of it. I couldn’t stop drinking. I didn’t want to stop drinking. I didn’t even want to see another sunrise most nights.

Nihilism, self pity, self loathing were my currency and I was like scrooge mcduck swimming in my overflowing vault.

After the kids were taken by the state, there were 2 options. Either fuck it all and continue to destroy or commit to sobriety.

Happy today to say I committed to sobriety. I did everything I could to get and stay sober. Followed every detail outlined by the child services/court to get our kids back, all the drug tests, the parent classes, the IOP, the monitored child visits, went back to AA and got a sponsor, went to therapy and couples therapy with my wife, started walking… a lot, joined this app, volunteered my time to people around me.

If something was suggested, I was willing to try it.

My life today isn’t perfect still and that’s just fine, I can actually enjoy life, I can enjoy my kids who we got back 7 months after they were placed, enjoy the company and support of my mom, and I can enjoy my wife and the marriage that was nearly obliterated.

If a low down, dirty fuckbag of a drunk like me can get sober, so can you… so long as you are willing to work and be uncomfortable.

44 Likes

Thank you for sharing your recovery with us, David. Really appreciate your service!

2 Likes

Congrats on two years and an incredible journey! And thanks for sharing your recovery with us. You rock!! :fire::fire:

2 Likes

Congrats on 2 years and thank you for sharing your story. I’ve been pretty down trying to clean up the wreckage of my past and you give me hope.

4 Likes

Congratulations on your 2 years of sobriety. Your a inspiration x

3 Likes

Congrats @CaptAZ! It’s been an honor recovering with you the last couple years.

2 Likes

So happy for you and your family. Such a blessing that you are here and healthy. Much peace and happiness to you!! Congratulations!!!

2 Likes

Congratulations on number 2 man!!! You’re a true asset to this forum and anytime I see you post I make sure to read. Always spitting some knowledge, compassion and understanding!!

4 Likes

A great personal story filled with such hope for those of us in the early stages. Congratulations and thank you for sharing :pray:

… ps: LOVE the numbers!!! :+1::sweat_smile::joy::kissing_heart:

3 Likes

Nice one David. Blazing the way! :bearded_person:

2 Likes

absolutely awesome! congratulations!! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yesssssss…this made me smile so big. Congratulations dude​:heart::heart::heart:
I have truly loved hearing your stories and wisdom these last two years.:pray:t2:

2 Likes

You’ve got an infectious positive attitude. Great to read your story and see how you’ve flipped your life around. Congratulations mate.

2 Likes

Let your little light shine, brother! You’ve helped me and others by your direct comment and your demonstrated dedication to recovery. Blessings on your house :pray:

4 Likes

Congratulations Capt! You are a big reason for a lot of us to keep up the good fight; I’m so happy for you and your family~! :hugs:

2 Likes

That is some serious pearls right there. I saw an interview with Rob Lowe and he said something similar. Really, when we are truly ready to get sober we will do anything. If we are coming up with all the reasons why we can’t do something it really is an indication that we aren’t quite ready. We don’t have to do everything, but at least be willing to try anything else if what we are doing right now doesn’t work.

CONGRATULATIONS on 2 years. That’s awesome. I can’t wait to be there with you. (of course, I have to wait…2 years is a long way away. LOL)

8 Likes

Preach it. You’ve got nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Thank you all for your help, this community means a lot to me. All walks of life, all ideologies, all different approaches but a singleness of purpose… sobriety and the better life it brings.

6 Likes

David, your story gave me such inspiration when I came here. Your determination to get and stay sober - and to be the parent and husband your family deserves - touches so many of us and gives us hope that may e we can do it too.

Congratulations on two years. Life isn’t perfect on this side, but it is LIFE again…and not just a destructive existence. Thanks for all you give to this community of ours…

7 Likes

What a turnaround :sunny::sunny::sunny:

Thanks so much for the encouragement you gave me when I started on my journey, and for all the support you give here.

And also thanks for the reminder that sometimes you just gotta shoot from the hip :cowboy_hat_face::pray::sparkling_heart:

4 Likes

Incredible! Inspiring! Congrats!

2 Likes