2023 St. Patrick’s Day?

I just thought I would start a thread about a festive holiday that somehow got turned into a booze fest. When I saw all the pictures on social media at the parade for a moment, I thought I was missing something. Then I realized, the only thing I was missing was a hangover.

18 Likes

You know St Patrick was welsh

10 Likes

:rofl: I did not know that. Interesting

2 Likes

Im happy im on course to be sober all day…today. We don’t need booze fests! Even when drinking…i didn’t really get into it much

5 Likes

Fr. Amateur hour, guys and gals who get drunk off 3 or 4 beers, while I’m polishing off a half gallon of whiskey every other night of the week like religion!!! Well those were the days, and I can honestly say I’m glad to see them gone.

11 Likes

That is interesting and almost gives the Welsh a bad name, lol. But I’ll add a VERY Irish cousin of mine got all tatted up, his last name in Celtic knot, then traced his lineage, only to find out he’s Scottish. I tell him its just like St Patricks day, everyone wants to be irish for a day!!! Lol he doesnt really like the hard time but deserves it :laughing:

4 Likes

Hmmmmm? I see it as another day to be grateful and do healthy things. Besides, Halloween is way cooler!

3 Likes

I drank hard everyday I never needed a holiday. Id actually drink less on st paddys day or at parades because I would have to drink with people all day and not how I wanted to. I had plenty of fun at some parades and even got up to sing a few times as I love irish music. I took a break from listening for awhile when I was trying to get sober this last time. I can now listen happily to drinking songs after 2.5 years sober with no desire to drink most of the time.

All that being said I can’t sit here and villify the holiday or people for drinking on it. The problem was always me.

10 Likes

16 Likes

Yep, I was just like you. I was like I better take it easy today, it is Saint Patrick’s day lol.

1 Like

That resonates with me. The worse my alcoholism got the more I found myself at functions where people where drinking casually and I was drinking thinking “well theyre hardly even drinking, they arent even doing it right… how boring”

6 Likes

My family’s heritage is Scottish it used to be a big reason why I drank a lot of scotch and whiskey. I genuinely enjoyed it because it was part of my heritage. But, I realized there’s much more to my heritage than just a drink that we created! I have never been to Scotland but I hope to visit someday and genuinely learn about my heritage because I’m really proud of it :blush: every time I play golf I always tell people we invented this game and then we invented a drink because it’s so frustrating :joy: but the funny thing is I play so much better sober than I did drinking. I never really bought into St Patrick’s day because it just seemed to make a mockery of things the way it’s celebrated especially here in America.

4 Likes

I agree. It got to the point where I couldn’t even have a conversation because I had one eye on the fridge or cooler.

2 Likes

Growing up, my family would always have a donut “hunt” on St Patrick’s day for some reason, like it was Easter. We were a little “different”. To this day at 37, I still eat a donut every year. It’s a fun sober ritual. Haha!!

7 Likes

Um confused, are y’all saying Patrick’s day is today??? Cos I thought it was 17th and I’m sure it’s only the 9th today???

2 Likes

Don’t say someone deserves any bad time if you’re doing better and want others to please. Not the message to send when leading by example. I’m personally needing leaders that understand they were said person once. Happy saint paddys day.

It is still a week away, but the parades happened last weekend and this weekend here in the states

1 Like

Flag it if your triggered or offended. Or better yet block me. Im not here to cater speech unless its deemed offensive.

1 Like

Yeah this month has Mardi Gras, St. Patrick’s Day, March Madness and all these other excuses to drink that are as empty as the rest of them.

5 Likes

Have a great St. Patrick’s Day! Just in case you think you’re missing some thing I have something for your reading pleasure.