22 years drinking messed my life, quit 4 months ago. 6 noteworthy things

I had been drinking regularly, every other day, for 22 years. One day, 4 months ago, I just stopped, and haven’t looked at a drink since. I do not wish to touch another drink again for the rest of my life, because 22 years of bondage says I can’t handle alcohol.

1. Every bad thing that has ever happened to me had something to do with alcohol

2. Nothing constructive has ever come out of any drinking episode, just money down the drain, often worse.

3. All good things happened when I had not drank for as little as a day or two

4. I lost roughly $100,000 in potential savings, maybe more in missed opportunities. Instead, I’m mired in debt, zero savings and a family to fend for. Alcohol robbed me blind.

5. The last straw, I got in a near-deadly highway accident while driving my innocent spouse. The police officer on scene said to me, “My friend, stop your drinking and stop endangering your wife. If you want to continue your senseless drinking, leave your wife at home, go drink and crash alone, we’ll come and scoop your remains off the tarmac with shovels as we do all the time. Leave your family out of it". That shook me to the bone. I walked away from the accident and quietly realised drinking would kill me and destroy my family. I wanted nothing to do with alcohol ever again.

6. My health is transformed, my life and marriage are rejuvenating by the day. I have no simple explanation for this sudden transformation. I can only say God heard the endless prayers of my loved ones and me and rescued me from certain death and destruction. In Satan’s quest to ‘Steal, Kill and Destroy’, alcohol is a potent arrow in his quiver that delivers all three.

“Dear God, I can’t do this by myself. I have tried and failed. Show me mercy and deliver me from this problem before it destroys me. Come to my rescue, save me and transform my life. I believe you are able. In Jesus’ name. Amen”.

Update: 10 months now. Unbroken clean streak. I feel like a different person now. I look at my past with disbelief at how close I came to total destruction. I am grateful I have a second shot at life and that I can hopefully encourage another to reclaim their life too.

28 Likes

Wow powerful share! Welcome to this sober community. Its full of great people sharing their struggles and successes with sobriety. Take a read around.

3 Likes

Amen :pray:t3:! I join you in this prayer that I feel so powerful. The day I decided to quit which I had attempted prior and had previously prayed for but felt nothing like this time. I said God I need a miracle. I have tried and can’t. And I must say I only had a bad day the rest were pretty peaceful and with no withdrawal symptoms. I have had days I have cravings and I know God won’t take everything away but he for sure gives me the strength daily. I can’t do it on my own I tried.

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing! Powerfully written, gave me strength and motivation. :pray:t2:

2 Likes

Thank you. If nothing else, just the feeling wholesome, mental clarity and end to mindless leakage of hard-earned income are reward enough.

Absolutely. I too remember getting to a point where all the clever strategies we read or get told did nothing. I even once got someone to keep me accountable by texting me daily saying “Please don’t drink today”, and I’d text back thanking them, while drinking!! :lying_face: I felt like such a fraud because it’s someone I really cared about and cared about me. Then I just told God, that’s it, this is impossible, and left it to Him. God’s mysterious ways, He allowed an accident to happen, but kept us from harm and insurance fixed the car, so eventually everything worked for good.

2 Likes

Glad we have this safe place where we all know what each of us is going or has been through.

3 Likes

He does work in mysterious ways! Ways we can’t understand but that are so clear to him. Glad you are here. Thanks for your share.

1 Like

A wise cop, I kind of admire people who now how to talk to addicts in a way they can reach them. It was only in my 4 treatment that I encountered therapists who cut through my bullshit. Until then a lot was about “gentle healers make stinking wounds”.

Welcome and thanks for your share :pray:

3 Likes

Very honestly written. Brilliant youv reached that place within yourself

1 Like

Thanks Megan. I’m glad the journey is totally paying off. Exactly 10 months today without a single slip. I thank God for changing my heart and my most supportive wife who came within inches of leaving but chose to stay. Thanks to her bold decision, we’re now the joyful, laughing, fun couple that walked down the aisle over 4 years ago and making great plans and holding onto bright hopes for the future.

4 Likes