24hrs to the 1yr milestone

I saw a documentary about this ship too this morning. Awful what happened there.
@Twowaymirror this is life. Sometimes it’s all perfect and sometimes it’s hell. But we can handle those bad moments so much better and healthier when sober! You’ll get through this, you’re stronger than you think.
As Megan already said: you’re awesome and I love you :hugs::kissing_heart:

3 Likes

That’s a somber documentary to start the day on.
However that kind of smack in the face with reality is needed sometimes.
I have been journaling for the last couple hours off and on while listening to this.

2 Likes

If anyone has any insight they have learned thru breakups they would like to share I would love to hear it.

1 Like

Feel for you :pray:sorry you are going through this right now.
Wishing you all the best :pray:

2 Likes

Well I cried for about a week solid, my eyes were swollen from sobbing and I couldn’t hold a conversation for the life of me and I couldn’t eat. Each morning though I started by trying to complete just one task. After two or three stays I started reflecting on how it had all happened and what was ahead of me. I was still sobbing a lot though. I ensured I did not text him. By the end of the first week I was strong enough to do life laundry - as my sister called it. In my case, this meant cleaning the whole flat, making a list of what I had to do to put my life back together - mostly practical eg cleaning out his stuff, sorting out finances, shopping online for furniture (flat was emptied). This made me feel like I was regaining some control and that made me feel better. I also started eating healthy meals. Not sure this is helpful or what you were looking for. I guess the insight is, take the time you need to grieve and then focus on putting your life back together in your own time. It gets better. Letting go of someone you don’t want to let go of hurts but it’s better for you longer term.

4 Likes

Your insight definitely helps.
The small day to day life things is what really does prove beneficial. Also, life laundry is a term I am going to continue to use in my every day life.

3 Likes

I don’t have much insight into break ups, but what I do know is that you gotta know your worth. You’re worth love and admiration, you will have significance in someone’s life.

I already know you believe in yourself or you wouldn’t have survived, just keep on believing man. You’re gonna find someone else who is worthy of you, all your good as well as all your bad.

7 Likes

I hope each moment gets easier for you. Im sure you wont feel this way right now, but in time I suspect it will be easier to see this not as a rejection, but as a redirection, something better is out there for you. I have sat on the bathroom floor and wanted to die after being dumped but can honestly say now I’m glad it happened. Live is brutaful but you are doing amazing and congratulations on your milestone a new year and new adventures and beginnings x

3 Likes

I have had a few breakups in my day. I am 58 years old. You get thru them. Even the really hard ones. Even the long relationships. Even when your partner dies. Eventually you get over it. And every relationship taught me about myself and about how I can be a better partner. The time in between relationships did as well. That time was the most valuable for a very long time…the time I was single, just with my daughter. I learned how to be alone and love it and that I didn’t need a relationship, I did want one tho.

It feels pretty rotten when your heart is breaking, but with time that goes away. Don’t cling, don’t go back because it is the easiest thing to do. Challenge yourself to accept and thrive in the new chapter in your life.

7 Likes

Challenge accepted… :grinning::wink:

9 Likes

@Twowaymirror -

Just read all this and wanted to check in on you. For me, the only (healthy) thing that eased the pain of a breakup was time. Stay busy, surround yourself with people who love you, and allow yourself to grieve in ways that are healthy.

What I do know is that you are dang close to celebrating one year clean and sober. You did that. Your relationship did not. You have worked so hard and come so far. I hope you can still see the incredible positives in your life, despite the fact that this relationship turned out to not be the one for you. You are an inspiration to so many - and now you put the tools you have to work in getting through this rough time. You will come out on the other side - still strong, still sober.

7 Likes

Update.
I got up. Dusted myself off. Reloaded, recalibrated and reengaged.
Now here I am.
1year!
If I can do it.
You can do it.

And in case you havent heard it today:
I LOVE YOU & YOU’RE AWESOME! :grinning::call_me_hand:

32 Likes

Congratulations man!!! Proud of you.

1 Like

Woot, woot! Congratulations!! :1st_place_medal:

1 Like

Today is another beautiful day. Breath in that satisfaction of a clean and sober year. :heart:

1 Like

How are you doing @Twowaymirror, I’ve been thinking about you.

1 Like

Nailed it! I’m glad you pulled through. :blush:

1 Like

Good for you!! Keep it up :grin:

1 Like

Just read this thread, so proud of you that you made it :tada: congratulations, now head on into your future :blush:

1 Like

So very proud of and happy for you, Silas!

2 Likes