25 days sober today!

Ive been in this position many times. Head is clear and i feel great.
Many times ive slumped back in to weekend binges.
Spend a week regretting it before im back drinking heavily and using cocaine for another heavy weekend.
I want to be fully committed to sobriety. And give my children the life they deserve. Just because i feel great today doesnt mean i will tomorrow.
I have a huge fear amd anxiety around doing it again because i know the state of mind it leaves me, never mind the physical harm im doing to my body.
If anyone has any advice on what tp fill my weekends with, i love being active and find it hard to sit with myself. All ideas welcome.
I have been in the rooms and found that it doesnt work on me. Dwelling on my past drags me down, when all i want to do is focus on a happy future.

11 Likes

Hi for me it’s exercise all the way, workouts on you tube at home and walking/running in the fresh air, perhaps join a gym get out there meet people and keep as busy as you can, when the AV comes calling tell it to sod off, wishing you well

1 Like

Not sure what rooms you’re referring to but I attend in person AA meetings regularly and our discussions are all solution based. But meetings alone won’t keep me sober. The hard work I put into the steps and coming here on a daily basis is what keeps me sober.

2 Likes

If AA isn’t for you as it’s not for everyone try easy way Allen Carr or there are plenty of other groups etc to help ie in the rooms

There is far more than AA out there. SMART, Recovery Dharma…

What have you researched for recovery programs?

1 Like

Im not for one second discrediting AA. I know it works for a lot of people. But for myself it hasnt worked. I found saying out loud i was an alcoholic very difficult, because i believe i am so much more than just an alcoholic.

1 Like

I am going to try Smart recovery in coming weeks, thankyou

2 Likes

Thankyou ive heared allen carr is very good, and exercise is so important.

1 Like

There are so many programs out there. Give them all a try until you find what works for you.
Btw…I don’t call myself an alcoholic at meetings and it’s not required. I simply say “I don’t have a desire to drink today”.

2 Likes

Okay thanks for advice

For me, I had to immerse myself into the world of sobriety. Otherwise I’d end up going back out. I had to really find a new way to live and actively participate in that new way of life. Nothing changes if nothing changes. There’s lots of different programs that can help, for me nothing has worked as much as intense connection with others in sobriety and doing the work to clear out the clutter so when those hard days arrive (and they definitely do!) I have new tools to use that allow me to live a different life instead of reverting back to my old one. Hope you find what you need to keep changing things my friend!

3 Likes

If the rooms you’ve been in don’t work on you try a different meeting or go online, all meetings have a different atmosphere and members so they’re all different, AA has worked for me for a long time, you just haven’t found the right meeting yet, give it another go.
Take care, stay sober & love life.