27 days sober but life is testing me

I’m trying like hell to stay sober and make it to 30 days but life is really throwing everything at me. I chose to get sober when I lost my Grandpa in February. I knew when he died I would drink heavily to cope but I chose to do the opposite and try sobriety. I found an AA group and got a few numbers for sponsors but I wasn’t clicking with anyone so I’d just go and listen. I read the book but I can’t seem to get into the book like everyone else. I’m trying to keep busy with work and hobbies but I got sick Thursday and went to the hospital with a respiratory infection. So I was out of work for a week. My job didn’t want me to come back without clearance from the doctor. So I went to the doctor today under the impression she’d say I was okay to go back to work tomorrow.
Then she wrote that I needed to stay away from people for 2 weeks. Now I’m without work for 3 weeks. I’m a mess now because I don’t know what to do with my time and stressed about money or how I’ll even get to the next aa meetings.
I don’t really want a drink cause I know where it’ll lead to more disappointment but why can’t life just be easy on me for a little while. Why now when I’m trying sobriety is it rough. I just can’t believe this.

3 Likes

And drinking is really not going to help any of your problems buddy.
These issues are not what are making you want to drink. It’s the fact that you are an addict and it’s the simplest thing for us addicts to do when life gets “hard”. We drink to escape.
So what do we do?
We step up, with a clear head and meet life face to face.
With a clear head we can solve any problems we may have because we can see the way through. If we drink, it just becomes a mess.
Your choice.

3 Likes

Thanks Geo, I already feel better after doing some cleaning and thinking. Im going to go to a meeting today and speak about it. I have to remember to let the impulse pass and take it hour by hour

1 Like

Spot on!
Feelings are not real.
Keep smiling

Hi @Whitney_Worley I relating so much to your post I broke my wrist in Jan so can’t work at moment i was worried sick about my bills and providing for daughter and dog . The stress was terrible but drinking doesn’t change a thing life can be hard but it’s alot harder with a hangover guilt and shame. I know alot of meetings r cancelled at moment but when things get better i suggest trying a big book meeting as it really helped me understand the steps and book better. Please keep reading and reaching out on here were all here to help eachother through our recovery x

2 Likes

Thank you very much, it’s comforting to know im not alone in this. Your right we’d feel allot worst when we had a drink than if we chose not too.

1 Like

I think life is testing us all right now :pensive: Drinking will not solve anything. It will definitely just make things worse. Leave it up to us to say, hey things are bad, let me just pile more on to it. But we’re not going to do that anymore. You can do it.

1 Like