3 weeks/21 days sober

I’m new to this, I’ve been reading so many inspirational and helpful posts. Tomorrow I’ll be free from alcohol for 21 days/3 weeks, which is the longest I’ve been sober since middle school. Today I wanted nothing more than to drink, I was making excuses as to why I should get those nips! I had to talk myself out of it, like a full conversation with myself and didn’t buy anything or drink. I’m doing my best, but I’m scared I won’t be able to keep talking myself out of it.

6 Likes

Just don’t drink today, tommorow you can get as drunk as you want but just not today.

then repeat.

No one can contemplate staying sober for a lifetime but we can do it for 12 hours and then go to bed.

4 Likes

Welcome Stephania! Glad you found us. 3 weeks is amazing, you should be proud of yourself.
When those urges hit, think about H.A.L.T. Hungry, Angry, Lonely or Tired. For me, usually I was slacking on one of them and as soon as I addressed it, the urge went away.

2 Likes

Isn’t it crazy how are brains work. I get the argument with ourselves, it’s terrible that we have to convince ourselves not to drink. I have 126 days today and I the convincing has lessened since about 2 months.

1 Like

Welcome Stephania, I also am on day 20, tomorrow will be lucky 21, haven’t gone this long in decades. And I’m also struggling, tonight is the 1st time I’ve really thought I may not make it through tomorrow. I have a lot of physical pain, and it’s been worse the last few days than in a long time. I’m praying I feel better tomorrow, but if I don’t, it will be an excuse. I don’t want to drink, I just want to feel pain free. The people here are awesome, they have helped me get to day 20. One day at a time, it’s all we can do. :purple_heart:

1 Like

Sometimes it’s one hour, one minute at a time. One day at a time working with others always had been helpful for me. Happy to hear you talked yourself out of it. Keep talking to others

1 Like