30 days sober today, so happy! Cravings for sweets/candy

I’m so happy and proud of myself for being 30 days sober today! One thing that is kinda bad is I’m craving and eating alot more sweets/candy/ice cream since I’ve quit alcohol. Is that normal? I want to loose weight not gain it lol…

3 Likes

I gained some sober weight but it was mostly because I was eating out of boredom. I think weight gain is common.

2 Likes

I have the same thing. Obsessed with hard candies, specifically Jolly Ranchers haha. Sugar is an addictive substance. My theory is the body was so used to the sugar intake from alcohol consumption that your brain needs something to substitute. Enjoy your sweets! You’ve earned it. Just don’t overdue it and take care of the pearly whites!

2 Likes

Be easy on yourself and enjoy them, quitting isnt easy and your doing well. Dont make yourself feel bad for having sweets.
Your only job is to not drink, when you feel ready to add other stuff like cutting out sugar, or just eating more healthy then cut them out.
Dont put to much pressure on yourself :slightly_smiling_face:

Congratulations on your 30 days

2 Likes

Congratulations on 30 days!!!

And absolutely, my body was probably super used to the sugar in alcohol and now I’m turning to sweets like there is no tomorrow. Ice cream has replaced dinner a few tines in the past 4 months :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Yesterday I bought “no sugar added Butter Pecan” ice cream as a strategy to curb my ice cream consumption. Never had it before, and the double chocolate ice cream was impossible to stop at one or two scoops. And the result was…drumroll please…it tastes awful!!! not only did I immediately go back to the store for proper ice cream, but got a mini lava cake just to make up for the horrendous taste in my mouth :joy::joy::joy:

Give yourself a break, quitting alcohol is hard enough as it is, balance some healthy nutrition and get outside for a bit of walking and it’s all going to be fine :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Enjoy the ice cream!

1 Like

Way to go on 30 days! Yay! That’s awesome!

Yes, the sugar cravings are real. I am making an effort to limit this for myself these days. I also added a good amount of exercise to my life after drinking so hopefully this will balance out the increased ice cream and cookie intake. Hahaha

The most important thing is to be sober. You are doing great! Keep it up!

1 Like