30 Meetings in 30 Days!

I want to try a meeting, I have time to… and I live in a major metropolitan area so there are like 40 in driving distance on any given day.

Idk if i should go to a regular one or a YA one…

Slightly scared of running into someone I know.

1 Like

You’re Killing it bro!

2 Likes

You’re killing it bro!

2 Likes

Whew I thought I was the only one.

2 Likes

My sponsor directed me to go to a meeting everyday for my first year and once I get a year (37 days) I can go to six a week. So my plan was to go to 8 my first year so I can go to 5 my second year… I don’t think my plan worked … who would have thought lol

2 Likes

Ha. I’m the fucker that went every day for 6 months and then didn’t go for a month when I got everything back. Got the wife back. Got the kids back.
And surprise surprise, I was a wreck after that month. It was never a “I don’t need meetings” thing for me. I knew I would still go. I just told myself that I was enjoying life. But old behaivors crept back in pretty quickly.

I’ve got a pretty good balance now. 3 to 5 meets a week:)

4 Likes

Haha! I swear man, only another addict would understand that kind of thinking😂

3 Likes

I was very nervous going to my first meeting alone in my town, and I was also nervous to run into someone I know there, but they are there for the same reason you are and there’s no shame in needing help.

I’ve been to a few different kinds of meeting and so far I enjoy a small group open discussion meeting. Not sure what YA is?

2 Likes

5 days sober and 5 meetings down. The last two meetings this weekend weren’t great. I didn’t enjoy being there and I really just wanted to be spending time with my family. Plus- I didn’t feel the urge to drink and didn’t think I needed a meeting but went anyway.

Hoping tomorrow is better!

4 Likes

Great honesty pal. I don’t know what else to say but great honesty. I hope tomorrow is better too :wink:

2 Likes

Not sure when it’ll change but I really didn’t enjoy the meeting again tonight. Checking out a young sober and free meeting tomorrow night, so hopefully it’ll be better to be around people my age :crossed_fingers:t3:

2 Likes

I hear that for sure. It would be nice to meet people my age and maybe make some sober friends. I can’t say I liked the meeting any more than the others last night. I’m starting to think AA isn’t for me. Feeling resentment about having to spend over an hour of my free time away from my family and responsibilities at home. I do know that people have said “if you have time to drink, you have time for a meeting”. Thing with me is I’m highly functioning while drinking and can do all the things sober me can, it’s just a lot more exhausting hiding that I’m drunk and trying to carry on as if I’m sober.

Just my $.02, the absolute last thing I wanted to do last night was go to a meeting. I’m in the middle of house renovations,my daily responsibilities are getting backlogged, I’m not prepped for my camping trip next week at all and I was already in my pjs as I am painting the house at the moment so I put them on when I got home from work planning to use that hour to paint more and I’ll tell you what-taking those clothes off to put on my normal clothes to go to that meeting felt SO wrong!! But because I didn’t want to go, that told me how much I needed to be there. I’m glad I went, I got to listen to a guy talk about how he expected himself to be exactly as I pictured myself. I want to learn more about how he changed his mindset. I had a lady there talk about where she was at the end of her drinking career and that’s exactly where I was too. They aren’t mind blowing statements when I’m there but later I think about these things and I write about them. I discover a lot about myself and there are pieces of each persons story I can relate to. Like they say, just keep coming back and the magic will happen. I’m not there yet either but it has been helpful to look at their wisdom for me because while I have 5 months sobriety, that is nothing compared to the guy who hit 31 years last night. They certainly know a few things I don’t that they can teach me! :slight_smile: Good luck!

Just so you know, resentments are pretty much the natural state of being for an alcoholic. They are pretty much standard fare for early recovery. Don’t feel bad about having them. AA is teaching me how to deal with them. Not every day in sobriety is peaches and cream. In fact some are going to downright suck ass. My typical go to for a bad day was some hard liquor followed my some dope. Not exactly great coping skills. Now I am able to pause. I can look at my role in a situation and see what I can do to fix it. I’ve found that if I have a resentment towards something it’s bc of my thinking rather than whatever I was mad at. It only takes a minor change in my thinking to greatly affect my perception. I have learned that my feelings are not reality.

1 Like