31 weeks pregnant with twins

My husband has been clean from alcohol for 100 hours. I am very proud of him. Now, he has relapsed on heroin, which he said he would never use again and still using cocaine. I am 31 weeks pregnant with twins. The babies can be born any day now. I’m so scared and I don’t know what to do. He has lost his job, everything. He just nods out all day because his tolerance is so low. I keep telling him my fears but he is just too high to understand. He has checked himself out of 4 rehabs/hospitals in the past month. I really wish he would go back on suboxone. I cannot handle the nodding. I left yesterday for the day. But, I’m afraid something is going to happen when I leave. What should I do? Any advice?

Well it’s impossible to force anyone to get clean and it doesn’t seem like he has any interest in doing it himself. So you gotta do what’s best for you and the kids, which most likely isn’t living with a heroin addict.

8 Likes

Well I don’t know anything about heroin, but I am the mother of twins and I will tell you that those early days were hard.

Sounds like your husband isn’t ready to be a sober parent so do what you need to do for the health of yourself and the babies.

Get your support system in the place, reach out to community agencies or get a night doula depending on what’s available in your area.

What is your family situation outside of your husband ? Is it possible to stay with your parents or a sibling or have them come stay with you? You need support now and after the babies arrive and your husband can’t provide it while using heroin. If you don’t have family who you can lean on then as @Snowflake said look into what types of services may be available in your community. I’m sorry you’re going through this. Dealing with a spouse with a substance use disorder is challenging under the best of circumstances and while waiting on twins I’m sure it’s miserable.

1 Like