3rd Times the Charm?

New to the forum, but just was released from my third stint in the ER for alcohol abuse and withdrawal. I had been doing well with sobriety until I lost my sister unexpectedly, my father was diagnosed with a rare form of Alzheimer’s, and my grandfather was hospitalized all in the span of 2 weeks.

It was right to the bottle after that for a bender that left me unconscious with a bottle of Tramadol in my hand.

Any advice on healthy coping mechanisms? I can’t go through this again. Appreciate any and all suggestions.

5 Likes

I am sorry for what you are going through atm. During the last 2.5 years of my sobriety I went through many first times of sad, awful, depressing feelings. My grandmother died some weeks ago and although i was sad I cherished that I could feel the sadness, crying, being sad and not hungover and full of guilt. Also I learn with every moment the bad feelings pass. I don’t conserve them with alcohol anymore and I can let them go. No feeling will last forever and feelings cannot kill you. Whereas alcohol can.

Welcome to the forum and this valuable and wonderful community.

4 Likes

I am so sorry to hear about your sister and the others in your family that are struggling. I can’t claim to know how you feel but I’m very glad you made it back. Focus only on today. When you wake up tomorrow focus on that. It’s too overwhelming to try and quit forever. We are here anytime you need us and I’m so glad you didn’t suffer any long term issues from going out.

2 Likes

I’m sorry for what you are going through. Alcohol only makes it worse. You’re in my prayers :pray:t2::two_hearts:

1 Like