4 and a half years sober

I’m sober for four years and hand a mental breakdown, I’m in need of a good support team not really good at social media and zoom aa classes don’t seem to be helping. I’m depressed and alone I really don’t understand life or what it has to offer no what I have to offer anyone out there feeling the same please let’s chat help eachother

20 Likes

Hi,

I hope you start to feel better, sending you a nice big hug through the wifi :hugs::hugs:

This community here has helped me to stay 35 days sober after having 8 years of sobriety!! I felt very crappy losing that amount of time, 4 years is a very long time you should be proud. 4 years you are strong, you have what it takes.
You are not alone in this ok we are all here to help support you.

This past 35 days this app community is what has helped me get through, i had never reached out before for help not sure why? Shame, embarrassment too shy? Maybe it just wasnt in my character??
I just felt weird reaching out but i am so glad i did, its so powerful i cant put into words how just speaking with people who understand, have experienced or are still going through what i had could help and empower my strengths needed for this journey of sobriety.

I am so glad you found us and i really hope you can find help and support like myself and many others have here.

I think you need to remind yourself how strong you are and its ok to fall sometimes were human. Its ok to reach out for help and let us all hold your hand through this journey we are all taking together.

What are your plans for today?

Im just in a coffee shop waiting for my opticians app.
When i drank i found myself hiding in doors isolating myself, and im glad your here and have reached out, you never have to be alone again.
:hugs::slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

It’s nice to meet you Janelle! I’m glad you are here in this awesome community!

1 Like

Thank you for the support I too was afraid to ask for help and here I am asking I’ve never fallen so low. I have nothing planned for the day im having social anxiety so most of the time im stuck in the house. I don’t have many friends they all left with the liquor . I’m pretty much self contained it sucks I’m glad to have a fellow sober person

4 Likes

Thank you for reaching out

2 Likes

We live in a world where reaching out or asking for help is seen as a weakness or as weird. Screw that! We NEED each other. We are herd animals that need a community. But of course I’m obviously struggling with this too as this online community is as far as I’ve gotten :joy:

2 Likes

Still you started thats the best thing you can do I hope I have the same courage

1 Like

Hello! I am today 11 days sober…And i find it difficult. It will be more and more difficult with xmas coming… Your experience can be inspiring for me. A curiosity i have is…do you still miss alcool after 4 years? thanks for your answer and for sharing your experience

2 Likes

Congratulations on your 4 and a half years, that is amazing. I started having really bad mental health problems as soon as I got sober from the drugs I was using and it caused a lot of problems for me for a while but I managed to stay sober through it no matter what, get a psychiatrist and psych testing done and then get put on the right medications. You are definitely not alone in this although you might feel like it. Have you ever heard of NAMI? They have meetings you could check out for all sorts of mental health / addiction recovery and I am sure there are people there that understand. Or more people like you and me on this forum. Just know this too shall pass and that whatever situation you are in now you can get through.

1 Like

I miss the excitement but not the alcohol. It’s lonely when everyone around you drinks and you’re sober but 11days is good it gets easier to say no yet harder to cope in my opinion

3 Likes

No I’ve never heard of Nami im going to look into it now I really could use support

2 Likes

Hi @Tiny1 , how are you today? :pray::hugs:

First off congrats on that solid sobriety!! That is a huge deal!! :heart: Those dark days can feel so permanent, I feel you there. I hope you know we are all here and willing to listen. I found being active here helpful for connection. Also, when I was real down, I hung out for awhile at 7cups.com, it was comforting in its own way and again, connection.

I hope today is a little brighter. Please know you are worthy of love, healing and health.

1 Like

Im making it one day at a time but the depression has gotten worse

1 Like

Thank you so much for reaching out and giving me somewhere else to have someone to talk to and not feel so alone it means a lot I get responses. I feel heard and like I’m not as alone as I think

2 Likes

Glad it helped a little. Reaching out here, you can definitely find community. Do check out 7cups too. I found it weirdly comforting. I also find the more I interact here, well, it helps me feel connected. You are definitely heard and not alone. A lot of us suffer from anxiety and depression. Do you have a therapist? I am starting up with a new one…via zoom, not my favorite, but I live rural and no one appropriate for me is nearby. Anyway…just having someone to talk with can be helpful. See what u think of 7cups too. :heart:

2 Likes

You’re having anxiety and depression as well? Yes I have a therapist I was recently diagnosed with bipolar 1 I’m also on zoom which has been great but a challenge. It’s hard to communicate on the phone or through a camera. Most the time I forget the times I was anxious to tell her. I’ve been having manic episodes for the first time and boy do they suck it almost makes me think self medicating with alcohol is better

1 Like

I have had anxiety and depression for about 30 years off and on. I did find my anxiety ramped up after a couple of years sober…obviously I was self medicating. Depression hasn’t been bad lately, thank goodness for that. I do know that meditation and yin yoga help me keep anxiety at bay. I also use physical activity to help my anxiety.

Maybe try keeping a journal or diary of when you are feeling anxious or panicky. What was happening, how you feel, what you did to work thru it (warm bath, movement, breathing techniques, listening to binaural beats, etc). Then you can share with your therapist.

I am sorry about the manic episodes. That is really rough. Do you have meds you take? I know finding the right one can take time.

Also, this breathing technique helps me when I am anxious…

giphy

3 Likes

I’m on meds now been on them for about a month they seem to help but I’m not sure I like the lithium side effects.

1 Like

Im so sorry its a year later and im just now reading this i appreciate the support. I made it another year so i guess im still doing pretty well. I hope in all this time u too are still on the journey

3 Likes