49 Days Sober

49 days sober - I got my 30 day chip in the mail today.

Question. I had a huge wave of fear, guilt, and anxiety wash over me this after reading a news article about a person who killed a teen drinking and driving. Do those feeling ever go away? It really put me in my own head, I read some of the big book and recited the serenity prayer.

Am I alone in these feelings? Do the ‘triggers’ get better?

3 Likes

Well done on 30 days that is amazing.

I’m not a member of AA so can’t help in terms of the big book but I’m sure others will.

I think flashbacks, triggers and the emotions that go with those are very much part of recovery. I get them sometimes. It is of course a good reminder of why we should stay sober but dealing with the emotions that come with that can be difficult especially at such an early stage.

I think it’s good to recognise the emotions and feel them even if it’s uncomfortable as it helps recovery in general. However, it is equally as important to look after yourself and your mind too. What I would suggest is once you have acknowledged the feelings, it would be good to distract yourself preferably with something positive about your sober journey. Write down what has changed and been good so far. Some people swear by gratitude lists. Others spend time helping their fellow sober friends with support. Trying a new hobby might help too.

4 Likes

Congratulations on your 49 days :slightly_smiling_face:
I belive we definitely learn to find peace with time and to react and deal with them better.

3 Likes

My sponsor in early sobriety helped me through tough times and answered alot of my concerns wish you well

1 Like