5 years of daily addiction

Day #1 after 5 years of using… Girlfriend of 3 years left me… I have finally excepted the fact that alcohol has full control over my life. What things can help keep me motivated and/or distracted from the consistent temptation

You have to fall into another addiction. Trade it with a healthier one. When I was finally sober I felt like I had zero interests but alcohol and anything that had to do with alcohol. It took a few months but I started to see that I really enjoy spending my old bar tab money on records and comic books. I never would have known I would be so in to comics or records had I still been drinking. You will find out a lot about yourself in the next sober weeks. There are going to be parts about yourself that you didn’t realize you hate and there are going to be parts of yourself that you’ll realize aren’t so bad. You can always change the things you hate and embrace the things you don’t.

1 Like

I’m sorry to hear that your gf left you. My wife of 26 years did as well when I came clean with my 10 secret. I’m 75 days sober now and I’m working toward getting back with my family. It’ll happen, I hope, it’s just going to take a while. Turns out my wife is the most understanding. The kids, ages 23, 21, 19, and 13 on the other hand don’t want a thing to do with me. I have no hope of getting back with my wife until they come around. My advice would be get a sponsor that you believe in and get to AA/NA. Be humble, work the steps, and good luck. God bless.

1 Like