5pm cravings and what to do?

Hello everyone!!
How do we stop the cravings??
I can be sober all day and BAM 5PM I will crave that drink and then it is all down hill from there… I will drink 9-12 alcohol sodas a night…Get demotivated, Get mean, fight with the spouse, wake up at 3am with crippling anxiety and go to work feeling like shit… If I can get past that one craving today I may be able to do this!!
What helps you get past the first craving??

3 Likes

Know exactly what you mean. For me, a bath really works and then straight into pjs so I can’t crack and leave the house, also snacks or bringing dinner forward. Give you something really yummy to look forward to. Distract yourself too, play games, go for a walk, call a friend. Keep busy and come here. Good luck! I have cracked that 5pm thing now and it does work.

3 Likes

Asking for help like you are is a good start. Find healthy ways to celebrate at the end of a productive sober day. Read, exercise, come on here and chat about it. Good luck. :v:

2 Likes

Get in the Shower!!
Every night for the first few months around 5 pm I would take my second shower of the day. Really really hot. Really really long. About 20-30 minutes. I’d have a good cry because I cannot drink like a normie. It really pissed me off. Everyone else can drink. What can’t I? After my shower I’d pour myself a cool sparkling water in my favorite wine glass. With a slice of lemon and cook a nice relaxing dinner. I’m generally a morning shower person. Which I still did. But these afternoon showers fucked with my brain and all the tears made me feel wiped out and relaxed.
Keep checking in.
We got your back.
:pray:t2::purple_heart::cactus:

4 Likes

I also spent a lot of time apologizing to my wife. Keep apologizing this shit is hard.
:pray:t2:

1 Like

Do you keep alcohol in the house? If so, GET RID of it!

2 Likes

Second that!! It caused me 2 resets in 3 days!

1 Like

Understand that cravings won’t kill you, yeah it sucks when 5 O’clock comes, but not drinking won’t do anything but make you uncomfortable for a few days. Meditate, go for a walk or pace back and forth until you wear a path on your floor!! Do anything but drink!!

A few days of being uncomfortable for a life time of freedom is a small price to pay!

2 Likes

So I had the same thing I could make it through the day but 4 or 5:00 p.m. hit(sometimes even 3:30 but not usually earlier than that)… Major cravings.Thought I couldn’t never get through it. Ten years of trying alone. After joining this app and having one reset, today is my 30 days without one single drop of alcohol. The first few days of horrible cravings I would reach out here and I would also use herbal remedies in other types of beverages such as ashwagandha, holy basil, and other adaptogens. They seemes to really help me. I would drink a ton of those types of drinks in place of alcohol. This may not be for everyone but it really did seem to help me… Along with of course knowing my triggers making sure I ate my dinner on time (which is earlier than I would have normally). Going for a walk, keeping busy and making sure there was no alcohol around for sure is number one because the craving does pass!! It really does, and each time you beat one the next time it does get easier (even if it might seem like it in the minute) The day’s add up and add up and it it does get easier. I also have a list of all of the reasons I hate alcohol and a reminder of how it makes me feel and how it makes me act towards those I love. If ever I feel I need a drink I remember why I stopped and I wait for the craving to pass. Nothing good ever came out of drinking and I never ever regret waking up sober, but I always regret my first sip of alcohol because it always leads to more.

2 Likes