6 months sober for the first time in my life, looking for advice and encouragement

I’m celebrating 6 months of alcohol sobriety for the first time since I started drinking at age 17/18 (I’m 31). It’s been the most transformative 6 months of my life. I struggled with depression and had a really rough time deciding that I could actually do this. If I didn’t quit my life was headed in a really dark direction and I honestly didn’t care anymore. I was so lost and for some reason alcohol was always there to comfort me and make me feel like what I thought was me. It gave me the illusion of happiness and a life. Going out with friends on the regular and drinking was my life and it seemed fun, at times. Highs chased by more highs. Giving it up was so hard. Having to sit with myself and my mistakes and regrets is the hardest thing to face but it’s so important for my growth. Drinking is a way to run away from your feelings and your problems so when you don’t have that anymore it’s a hard reality to sit with. Struggling to forgive myself for the negative impact alcohol has had on my life and the evil people I let into it and the good ones I pushed away. Struggling to forgive myself for the actions of others that broke my spirit and belief that people were kind. I am so proud of myself for coming this far and where my mind is at now compared to then. I wish I had set these priorities straight a long time ago but sometimes I guess it takes some tough experiences in life to learn the hard lessons. I think it makes me a more empathetic and humble person so perhaps it was worth it but I still struggle with feeling guilt and shame. Working hard to love myself through this and be proud of where I’ve come. I really want to focus on the present and possible future instead of the past but there are events that happened that are just too difficult to forget and have caused great pain. It’s all a process. Proud to be here though and I believe that things will get better and that my journey is far from over. How do some of you handle your negative thoughts? When you want to pick up a drink to drown your mind what sort of things help you?

16 Likes

Congratulation to your 6 months!! It is awesome achievemnt and it looks like you’re at much better place :hugs:

Thank you! Glad I found this forum to connect with more like-minded people who can relate. Alcohol is an illusion. I might not be having as much fun going out (well nobody is now) to bars with friends and attending all the festivals but the amount of fun I’m having enjoying life without a substance is a crazy feeling after a decade of drinking during almost anything. Sounds corny but I can literally “smell the flowers” again and can laugh whole heartedly without being drunk. After feeling like I would never laugh again. :heart:

6 Likes

Not corny at all. Some things are so true and so good they can’t be expressed uncheesily! I’m right there with you feeling happy, enjoying life in a way you had not thought possible, I even say that almost every day. It’s all true what you say. Congratulations on six months, may it only every get still better for you! :muscle::purple_heart::heavy_heart_exclamation::boar:

3 Likes

Welcome congrats on 6 months, I’ll be there in the next 3 months. To be honest I haven’t had an urge to drink. I really wanted to do this like be sober, something new for me, what has helped me has been just trying to stay busy. Like I just went bike riding today, that other day I went fishing. I have been setting up my business website myself so that’s a challenge but it keeps me busy. When I wake up in the morning I already know, I tell myself another sober day because I already know I won’t drink. Coming this far and doing a u turn is not in my agenda. Keep going you got this thank you for expressing yourself.

2 Likes

I totally understand what you mean! I had the same feelings…! It was like opening eyes after so long time in the darkness. Everything was unbelievable, like I woke up from some bad dream or what…??!
I was amazed by life itself. I had no idea how beautiful life is, living in the shade of alcohol. And what was even better - to realise who I really am! All my possibiloties and skills which were hidden for so long. All I was seeking in drinking was all the time just in front of me in the sobriety :smile:
I am so happy if you feel the same way. It’s very rare. Lot of people are fighting their addiction, using a willpower. It’s easier if you get to understand that there is nothing to be missed at the bottom of that bottle.

2 Likes

Congrats, I am 9 days away from 6 months. Any advice would help. I’m a dry drunk. Your story is inspiring.

2 Likes

Yes Jana, that resonated with me so much it gave me chills. Thank you for communicating that bc you said it so well. It’s hard not to be mad at myself for not realizing this earlier but life unfolds in mysterious ways. It’s like once you unlock the knowledge and awareness that the life you were living under alcohol wasn’t a life at all. Your happiness wasn’t even true happiness but a facade. It’s a feeling of “where have I been my whole life” and it’s absolutely beautiful once you unlock it. I just wish it didn’t take so much darkness to find the light. But then again without the dark there would be no light and if you don’t experience the pain of the darkness the presence of the light won’t feel as powerful so I believe in the yin and yang of that. Life is a journey that’s for sure.

3 Likes

Congrats Lee! Do you feel like you have better control after this amount of time? I definitely do. I don’t know how much advice I have for you except to not forget the progress you have made and how much better your life will be without it. When I fantasize about going out and partying like I use to, like a lot of my friends still do, I just think about where that path will lead me and then picture how awesome my life can possibly be without it. It normally helps my frame of mind. I know not everyone will come to this conclusion in their life with alcohol. Society makes it hard to get away from. If I do go out with friends who are drinking I have a stronger sense of myself and sometimes even think that I’m making progress that they are not ready to make. Everyone’s different and not everyone struggles with alcohol but a lot of people do so it’s not uncommon. The sooner it happens for you the better though, good luck and don’t give up!

2 Likes

Congrats to you! Loved reading your story. If you are looking for reading on negative self-talk, try How To Un-F#ck Yourself or The Tao of Sobriety.

1 Like

Thank you, I will look into those! I am currently in the last chapter of “The Art of Not Giving a F*ck” so those seem right up my ally. I recommend that book, it takes a different approach but it’s funny while being inspiring. Will put those two on my quarantine reading list, much appreciated!

1 Like

I’m 7M 23D into my sobriety. I can relate to what you’ve been through. In just those 7 months, I’ve accomplished so much that it just boggles the mind. I can only just imagine what I can do in 7 years. Listening to YouTube, reading, my relationship and throwing myself into work had really helped me keep a sense of balance in my life. It’s been a blessing… I finally know what to do now and most importantly, how to go on about doing it. Congrats on your 6 Months and Welcome!

2 Likes

Hello Miss Awesome :smile: (don’t know your name).
Thank you for reacting on my comment. I found difficult to express all the huge feelings and emotions I have about me being sober. I wish to be able better explain the progress and the benefits which it gave me. It’s hard to put it into words in my nation language, much harder in English though :smile:
I like the way you described it. Exactly how you said - your words resonates with me, too :hugs:

I felt like I’ve lost approx. 15-16 yrs of my life because I drank. But actually I just take it like one big lesson rather than be regreting what already happened, you know…? So as you say, the darkness was needed to find a light. Unlike people who never experienced what I did I know a secret of life they don’t. And not in selfish way, I am so happy to spread this happiness which “every-normal-day” is offering :heart: I went through a tough time as many of us and I see it like great experience. Somehow it strenghtened me and gave me a gratitude and mainly awarness :pray:t2:

I love where you say following:

It’s absolutely amazing way how to put it in words. Thank you :pray:t2::four_leaf_clover: I wish to everybody be possible to change their mindset and all the viewing of alcohol in this way. It is much easier to stay sober with this mind-set :heart:

I wish you a great journey!! :four_leaf_clover:

2 Likes

Amazing effort! Congratulations on 6 momths and cheers to many more.

2 Likes

Welcome to this awesome community!

Congratulations on 6 months!!

2 Likes

Thank you! This community IS AWESOME! I’m so happy I stumbled upon it. People here seem to be really kind and genuinely caring. Thank you for welcoming me :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks, I’m 40, almost 6 months. Never a social drinker, drank alone. So I spend all my time now kayaking, hiking and the beach, I’m in L.A.