6 months sober in Alaska

I woke up to the app notification that i’m officially 6 months sober today. I am in tears! I truly felt trapped in alcoholism for years. I thought it was something I could never escape and that I would eventually drink myself to death. I thought I deserved it too. It’s amazing how low I had gotten compared to the clarity and optimism I have now. I feel completely in control of my life and I love myself. I don’t want to die anymore. I’m just so happy I did the hard work this time and left my ego at the door. Well that’s it. Just thought I’d share!

28 Likes

Congrats on 6 months. I am so glad you put that you did all the work, some people don’t know what that means. It’s hard work to stay sober, harder to learn a new way of life. Good job and thank you for putting that on your 6 month story. Some people honestly think it’s easy to quit and no work involved. There is alot of work involved more than people think, again congrats on 6 months keep it going.

1 Like

This made my day! Congrats to you!

1 Like

I feel like being honest was the hardest part. My alcoholism involved a lot of bullsh*thing and lieing. I had to stop telling lies and hiding things. I had to be honest with doctors and therapists and all kinds of strangers and family. My lieing was the thing I hated the most about my addiction and the hardest thing to let go of.

5 Likes

Thank you!! :slight_smile: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Yeah but you know what you did it, yeah you put in the work to get to where you at right this moment. It feels good I know it does, enjoy it, scream it out loud if you have to its a big accoplishment. Like I always say some people can not do what you are doing. Good luck with everything and keep it going dont stop, only you yourself can stop yourself from being sober.

1 Like

Wow! Through the winter too!
I have done 4 Alaskan winters and I can only imagine at some of your struggles this past winter.

Great work!

1 Like

Congratulations!

1 Like

Yeah it can get relentlessly bleak during the dark months. Going through counseling and going to meetings a couple times a week helped pass the time quite a lot!

2 Likes

Thank you so much!! :blush:

2 Likes

Congratulations on 6 months, that’s a huge accomplishment.
Which city are you in? I was born and raised in Alaska, grew up on the Kenai Peninsula. Haven’t left Alaska, it is home and the Peninsula is my back door.

2 Likes

Thank you! I’m in the Mat-Su valley. I’ve been in an since 2013 A couple of my coworkers grew up in Kenai :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Congratulations, big milestone :slight_smile:

Apparently still trapped. I drank today…

Hi there, and welcome back! Crazy hard time for a lot of people right now. Please keep checking in.

1 Like

Good words… I will keep checking in

1 Like