7 days in a room full of drunks

Im on day 14 now and going on a school trip to scotland for 7 days. All the boys Ive heard are going to drink. In the room Im sleeping in will likely be many if not all nights alcohol. I plan on staying sober, reading on here, journaling, exercising, meditating and staying away from alcohol as much as possible but the temptation will possibly be there. I do not feel threatened in my sobriety but also dont want to underestimate it.
What activities/tipps do you have for me to stay sober?

12 Likes

You sound like you already have a pretty solid plan. It might not be easy however it is very possible and you will feel great for it afterwards

3 Likes

That is a pretty good plan. We’re here if ya need us.

Also if the drinking starts to look like fun, remember to “play the tape through.” Visualize what drinking will look like the next morning or the one after.

For me maybe it was fun for the first hour or two. Then I’d get carried away and do crap I regretted/forgot. Then wake up feeling like hell, probably looking for more and caught back in the cycle.

Nope, no siree, no thank you. I’m happy to go read my book, get to bed early, and wake up with a clear conscience and fresh new day.

Let everyone else sleep it off, I got a life to live! :v:

9 Likes

And if they get to be too much you can always take a walk! I hear Scotland is lovely.

1 Like

I would just say that if they are drinking in the room get out of the room as much as you can!!

1 Like

Appoint yourself the “Designated Thinker”. First rule of the dark: the one with the flashlight is automatically in charge. In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

6 Likes

Thanks Im not sure wether Im allowed to do plans on my own there though. Dont know who to takw with me

Thats sure for sure

1 Like

Yeah, playing the tape through is one of the habits I value a lot in the last 2 weeks. Selective memory is a normal behavior in addicts at least in me. I can honestly say that playing the tape through means facing death as a consequence, and I dont even know wether death is the worst of the possible outcomes!

1 Like

Obvious but important observation
Makes me feel more like being a smart man in a room with four children, I really do feel like an authority in situations like these and others felt like that too they told me in serious manner. If I cant get away from intoxicated people Ill at least watch out or lead them

2 Likes

Indeed. :pensive:

1 Like

If you’re feeling up to it go about a walk. Get out of the space that could potentially set you off. And I like the advice of play through the tape. That’s the smartest advice cause we never do right? We live in the moment and don’t really look to the hours or day ahead and how would we feel if we broke our promise to ourselves. We’d feel like bloody crap!!!

1 Like

I saw this advice as a newcomer I do not understand why I took it so seriously only the last two weeks. Maybe because I was a constant relapser and didnt care enough to try harder. But yes, playing the tape through can effectively eliminate cravings for me in a few seconds.

2 Likes

Update, I didnt expect that there was going to be so much alcohol and drugs around but saying no always was the best decision. I dont lose anything but I win a lot. Ive thought about my mother, I want to make her proud. The love to my family is never going to be as important as using. Right now Im the longest time sober since I started using 3 years ago. I take full responsibility for all my Actions, addiction maybe is a disease but I still decide myself what I do and not do. Sobriety is the best decision Ive ever made.

3 Likes

Stay strong. Hold fast. WIN!

Keep getting better at getting better each and every day. Better today than you were yesterday and tomorrow better still!

4 Likes

Very proud. I’ve been in your shoes and screwed up many times.

Fear of missing out can be real and drinking can be fun short term but the physical hell it puts your body through is not worth it. The sick part is you barely remember the fun.

I’ve lost many a vacation day laying wishing for death after a bender. Which day would you like yours to be…?

1 Like

I already spent most time with sober people yet at the end of the day Im in my room. But saying no is not hard if I choose to, I mean nobody can force me only I choose myself. I say I dont drink at all, when get asked why because being drunk sucks Im honest in that

1 Like

Last update: Im still sober, the longest I have been for 3 years. Im on day 22 now. Means I can do 23 days too. Temptation was there all the time in scottland (which is a beautiful country I could imagine living btw) but sobriety is my priority so always said no. And back home I just had an awesome evening, dancing talking and stuff, and all the 7 people were sober!! So sober life is fun af and I can never imagine going back to using. It feels really good being in controll of my life.

4 Likes

Btw in edinburgh it seemed like there were way more whiskey shops and pubs than pharmacies and food stored combined. Its hard for alcoholics there probably but I still think its always possible to say no. I would recommend visiting scottland though, i will definitely visit it again, the highlands are another impressive experience and then the cool stylish culture.

Even another update I think is relevant : Some of the people who drank have been getting injuries from falling, have (very) embarrassing videos and stories of them going around, 2 have vomited in the bus (luckily not mine haha) one vomited on the door of a teacher’s room. Many got headaches, and there had been (mostly verbal) fights. All in the few days. So in retrospect I’m glad I stayed sober, and still am!

1 Like