7 days sober from cannabis (as of midnight). This is what I've noticed

In about 3 1/2 hours I will be 7 days sober. I’m not going to lie, this has been the hardest instance of coming off cannabis I’ve had out of the 5/6 times over the last decade. I’m really grateful I’ve made this decision and stuck to my guns. Here’s what the last week has been like:

Stomach/gastrointestinal issues were absolutely awful! When I was researching CWS (cannabis withdrawal syndrome) I noticed that I don’t have enough symptoms to qualify for the syndrome, which is good, but the symptoms I do have (mainly gut stuff) has been off the charts intense! TW: I’ll be lightly detailing what my GI upset has been like until the next paragraph Yesterday and today marked the first days where I was able to eat somewhat normally without intense nausea or my stomach becoming hard as a rock after. It’s also the first time that I didn’t have to run to the bathroom 10 minutes after and have the worst diarrhea I’ve ever had in my life (which is saying something because I don’t have a gallbladder!) Although I did make the mistake of having a spicy breakfast burrito, it didn’t ruin my day like it would have just a couple days ago. I’m so incredibly grateful the GI stuff is getting better.

Other than GI stuff I was having trouble falling asleep, but that resolved after day 4. I’m having a lot of trouble staying asleep in the morning, but it’s nice to not feel like I have to sleep 18hrs a day. I’m intentionally drinking a lot more water and even though eating is still difficult, I’m eating more intentionally and consuming more balanced food.

I think a big reason I’ve been having really bad withdrawal symptoms this time is because I knew I was going to stop using (I decided to become sober for at least a year as a birthday present to myself) so I went hog wild and heavily used the weeks leading up to, as well as on, my birthday. As my usage tapered up over the weeks, so did my tolerance. It was honestly to the point when I was with friends on my birthday, everyone was zonked except for me. I honestly couldn’t consume enough to feel anything past my normal tiny peak. I didn’t see that for the giant red flag it was until writing this.

At this point, I’m so grateful I found the strength and wherewithal to finally dig in my heels and tell myself enough is enough. I’m really looking forward to hitting the 4 week mark to see how different I’ll feel. I’m a lot less nervous and feel so much less shame for my past usage, just seeing it for what it is. I’m going to try my best to bring this all up with my therapist this week to have another person, other than my partner and good friend, aware of my sobriety intentions. Especially since I’m having a lot more mental clarity.

Thanks for reading, y’all! I’m happy I’m here and I’m looking forward to the journey and introspection to come.

7 Likes

Great job getting off the weed! You are capable of being a lot more than a pothead. Contact a doctor if the withdrawals are too much.

1 Like

Congratulations Sir! Im fighting the same fight. 20 days weed free now for me… the anxiety and random headaches are still getting me every once in awhile.

3 Likes

I was never a loser. Cannabis saved my life, it’s just no longer helping me survive. If it wasn’t for cannabis I would have ended my life years ago. Perpetuating the stereotype of “loser pothead” is really toxic and does nothing but hurt people. Think before you post such judgemental bull.

2 Likes

Great job to you too! Withdrawal can be a doozy, that’s for sure. I’m proud of you, friend :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like