7 year relationship and alcohol took it away, but

I was happily married for 3 years and together with her for 7 years. Many times as my alcoholism progressed she had tried to make it clear to me that my addiction was destroying our relationship, but my selfishness and my inability to admit that I was powerless kept unable to acknowledge her cries for change! Now she has left the home after I came home and lashed out in a drunken fit… I finally see the error of my ways and poor lack of judgement. Many of us have to hit rock bottom and others may not have to before we fully admit to ourselves that when it comes to alcohol and life we are completely incapable of managing ourselves. The best advice I can give each one of you is to trust in the program and your higher power and truly take into account what those closest to you are telling you out of love

7 Likes

I have walked in your footsteps sir. Hopefully there is hope for your marriage if you can get straight and prove yourself to her. It will likely take time. I ruined a 16 year marriage (together for 18) with zero chance to reconcile. Stay strong however. I’ve nearly drank myself to death in the 4 years we’ve been apart…

2 Likes

Stay strong and sober it’s the only way. I feel you, my story is exactly the same. Recovery comes first, than the rest will follow. We tried after my treatment again, it was a fail. Now she wants contact so now and then. Still doubting whether it will not effect my recovery. But kind of a way proofs things might change for you as well in that area. But first, recovery.

My best advice to you would be to check into treatment if you can. If you cannot hit up a recovery group wether that’s 12 step or something else just do it. It will take time for her to believe you’ve changed, if she cares to give you a chance. Be patient, work your sobriety program every single day and give her room. I wish you well man

1 Like

UPDATE

the other day I got into a really low state
After continuously shutting myself off from the world and sitting in an empty home I went back out… it wasn’t the most shining moment of my life and it was memorial day weekend

Can anyone guess what happened as a result of that choice

Yep, you guessed it
OWI

Now I have finally accepted that left to my own devices I will fail to maintain my sobriety and that I need outside help wherever possible. I have entered intensive outpatient treatment and I hope to learn new coping skills and maybe reveal new goals

3 Likes

Good for you for committing to therapy and your sobriety!

1 Like

Well done, sounds like you’re really committed to staying sober

1 Like