70 days.... Day 1

I cannot believe it 70 friggin days and I had to reset. Its lunch time and I am finally getting out of bed with a giant hangover.

I have let my family and myself down.

Don’t let your love ones keep alcohol in the house people. That damn 2015 Cav Sav was sitting there for a week just tempting me. Shitty excuse I know, but I’m an alcoholic.

3 Likes

You haven’t lost those 70 days. They are right there on the sober path. Reset and recommit, and let this be last hangover you ever have. Decide to be better, and then be better. Sober is better.

For me, it all comes down to saying “no” to one drink…the drink that matters…the first drink. If I say “no” to the first drink, there can’t be a second or third or eighth. If I say “no”, I win 100% of the battles.

Sun Tzu wrote: If you know your enemy, as well as yourself, you will win every battle. Alcohol is my enemy. I know that I win or lose with what I decide to do with that first drink. If I say “yes”, I lose, with the only thing left to be decided being how badly I lose.

Choose to be better. Work to be better. Keep getting better at getting better, each and every day. Better today than you were yesterday, and tomorrow better still.

Sober is better.

11 Likes

Now is a great time to write a list of reasons why you know you don’t want to drink.
Next time you are starring down a bottle of wine read your list.

3 Likes

Thanks guys. I reset as soon as I got up this morning. I was really looking forward to 90 days. I thought I could do this without interrupting my wife’s habits, but a week walking past that wine bottle just became too much. A moment of weakness. Well I’m really feeling it today. The whole day is ruined.

Only positive I can see this morning is a reminder that it’s still there and always will be there. I could have ended with one glass but alcoholism is a disease. Instead it was every drop of alcohol in the house. Thank God there was no hard spirits in the house.

I am sad to see my timer go back to zero. The number going up gave immense pride. It will again.

9 Likes

But this was a great learning experience. You knew right from the start what went wrong. And I’m sure you’ll fix it.

Maybe some people can handle alcohol in their home. You admit that you can’t. That’s a great take away from this setback.

I’ve been relapsing over the last couple of weeks, after nearly two months sober, and it all came to its inevitable conclusion yestetday, with several hours drinking, making an idiot of myself, and now with several smashed teeth and a smashed hand. Certainly time to make that list of reasons why I don’t want to drink.

4 Likes

3 steps forward and 2 steps backwards is still moving forward @mallen. Like @Yoda-Stevie just said, those 70 days are not gone!
So keep moving forward and let this be your last day 1 ever! :boom:

2 Likes

Ps just a tip: ask your wife to put her wine in locket closet. Then she still can have her wine but you have no cravings.

1 Like

Good on you for resetting straight away. A lot of people (including myself) wouldn’t be able to resist going on a bender. My last one lasted 7 years.

2 Likes

I made the Worst decision ever drinking after 97 days sober- onwards and upwards

You are sober today, that’s all the counts :+1:

3 Likes

Like Yoda said, those days and the journey so far is not lost @MinHK @mallen.

Today is a new day. Sending strength.

2 Likes

In one of the histories of AA, it is related that the co-founders, Bill W and Dr Bob kept a bottle of whiskey within sight as they did their morning reading and meditation together.

A bottle present in the environment is an external circumstance. My sobriety depends on my inner state of mind and heart and soul. This is my reality today. When I was getting sober, at 5 months I was sentenced for my last DUI. After a short stint in jail, I was released on house arrest. A condition was no alcohol in the house. And they weren’t shy about showing up to inspect unannounced, including going through the garbage and recycling bins. So for eighteen months there was 0 alcohol in the house.

Of course, I would pass the liquor store on my way to my allowed appointments or work. Booze and tumultuous conditions are always all about us. Serenity is always inside me.

Which wolf will I feed today?

1 Like

Thanks all for the advice and encouragement. Still pissed with myself, but hey, 70 days is the longest I have gone without alcohol in 20 years. Looking forward to sobriety so resetting was the first thing I did today.

3 Likes

As long as you aim to beat your records you’ll always be getting better.

Just seeing this @mallen
Straight back on mate! As others have said. You’ve still got all the experience of 70dsys sober behind you.

Hey guess what you’re not alone today! I to had to reset today as well… I woke up feeling absolutely horrible, shameful, pissed off and full of regret but I’m not going to let it get me down! Otherwise I will start back down another path of wrong decisions. I just remember how long it took to get back on the wagon once I started drinking a few days, that is exactly what is keeping me from not drinking tonight. The last time I “went back out” it took me months and months of repeatedly saying I will do it tomorrow I will stop tomorrow… So if nothing else resetting helps you remember how shitty it feels the next day. So stay positive you will get it!!

1 Like

See I have never understood the point of having 1 or 2 drinks. I just don’t get it. Why have all those empty calories and spend money and then not even get pissed. I’ve always drank to get drunk and assumed that was normal, thought everyone was the same. I still think that way. Therein lies the problem I suppose. For me drinking is no good. I think I’m just really greedy.

1 Like