8 days being sober

It is my first weekend without alcohol in 5 years and I have a strong urge to buy a Sixpack, I’m very stressed and angry for no reason. Trying to keep myself busy.

Just posting to keep my strength up.

9 Likes

I’m 6 days with no alcohol also so I’m right there with you. After we get through this it’s going to be awesome!! You got this and it’s going to be so worth it. Never give up your not alone.

7 Likes

I just got my first week in too, its hard but you can do it, we are all here for you :black_heart:

5 Likes

Hang in there, 8 days today and I totally understand how you feel, its Sunday and normally I would be drinking this morning waiting for the liquor store to open.
We got this! Your not alone on how you feel and what your going threw!
We can do this thing!

4 Likes

When I’m in that mindset, I find reading the meme thread helps change my mood as well as a great distraction. Or try to take a walk. There’s something about nature that changes our mood.
There’s a saying I like to use that applies here…Move a muscle, change a thought.

4 Likes

As Littlemisschatterbox said, keeping yourself busy is a great idea. Start a little project. Think about what you can accomplish today purely because you’re not hungover and are able to take advantage of the day.

I also thought I’d respond to your statement of, ‘I feel stressed and angry for no reason’. I think there’s plenty reason you’re stressed and possibly angry; it’s your first weekend without alcohol in over 5 years. That feeling of breaking routine and wondering what to do with all the extra time? That can be frustrating; don’t downplay just how much that can actually be a bother mentally.

It sounds to me like you’re doing great, though! Hang in there. You got through one of the hardest parts (those first few days). It won’t be gone by day 10, but I feel very strongly that you’ll be finding it’s already easier.

And next weekend? You’ll only be that much stronger. One day at a time. You’re doing great. Don’t stop now. We’re all cheering you on, friend. :innocent:

2 Likes

reaching out and or venting here has helped not buy that six pack!

Your going to be feeling better physically. Now is where you have to learn to redirect your thinking.

For example.

I’m angry! recovery sucks! Fuck this, fuck that, fuck you, and fuck everything else! im buying a six pack! A six pack wont hurt!

This can be to be redirected to…

Im angry! Alcohol turned on me! It made me miserable enough to want to quit! Now I dont know what to do because I drank. I need to fill that void of time with something positive. Maybe face my feelings for the first time in a long time. Its new. I don’t like change! but I don’t like where alcohol lead me either. I know where that choice leads to. I want to try something new. I wont drink today. I wont start my detox process over again today.

3 Likes

Man I’m with you on not starting the process over again, at times I feel every fiber of my body is crying out for a drink, but I’m gonna keep fighting and god willing we will get threw it!
Keep fighting the good fight, I’m right here fighting with you!

3 Likes

Hope you are doing okay and still sober. Either way, check in and let us hear how you are doing.

1 Like

Thanks everyone !! for your support it helps me a lot, especially when I really want a drink it helps me to remind me why I got sober in the first place. It’s still hard, not giving up.

5 Likes

Good for you, and remember- if it was easy, everyone would do it. :wink:

1 Like