A big fall

I went to rehab and went into recovery almost 2 years ago. Things have been going well but this past week I relapsed. 3 days feels like it went by in 5mins. This isn’t my first relapse. Hoping for it to be my last.

5 Likes

Welcome to Talking Sober Christian. Being here, reading, learning, supporting and being supported helped me tremendously in keeping my sobriety intact until today. I hope it can be just as supporting to you as well. Now please tell me, what have you learned from relapsing? What are you going to do different this time that you aren’t going to relapse again?
Hoping is fine. It’s you at the wheel though. It’s you that has to do the work to stay sober. Of course you know that and I don’t want to come over as condescending but I always get a little bit triggered when people speak of ‘hoping’ they can do it, or ‘trying’ to make it this time. It’s a matter of mindset. We have to want this more than anything in the world. One day at a time for the rest of our lives. I wish you all success friend. You’re not alone. We’re in this together.

2 Likes

Thank you for taking the time to read and respond. At this stage I have started asking for help as the last two years I have been going at it alone. I have contacted friends in recovery and started online AA meetings. Taking it one day at a time and staying safe and away from places where using is possible.

3 Likes

Huge well done for getting nearly 2 sober years under your belt. All that strength and experience will help you get through this and back on the path you want to be on. None of that time is wasted. Use this relapse to your advantage to help you see what was different - I’m sure there’s much you can use. But yeah, 2 years… Well done you. Stay here, use everyone’s support.

2 Likes

Maybe go easy on yourself too. If you came from a place where you needed rehab, to getting 2 sober years in the bank…you have obviously been very strong and very kind to yourself. Maybe a slight blip instead of a big fall. Like you’ve drunk 3 days in 2 years. Anyone with a drink problem wanting to change would take 3.out of 730! Keep up the good work

3 Likes

Great to have you aboard and well done on putting all these measures in place to stay sober as they are sound bits of advice that many would give you. If you haven’t got a sponsor yet I’ll let you know it helped me to have that one on one level of accountability plus doing the 12 suggested steps gave me something to occupy the time and a routine for each day.

3 Likes

Hey there! Welcome to TS. I too went to rehab 2 years ago. Then pandemic hit and I relapsed all throughout. I now have 6 months sober, lots of sober community support including local AA and TS. Never been better. So glad you are here, friend. My drug of choice was alcohol.

2 Likes