A great reminder of alcohols crap side

2nd attempt at going sober. Feel very different this time. Keeping aa close by this time. 7 days now. Started listening to audio book. Alcohol Explained by William Porter. Really good and does explain a lot. Anyway, joined the alcohol explained Facebook group. Here’s a shameless copy n paste from a brilliant post I read. Sums up alcoholic life so well and a great motivator/reminder of where I don’t want to go back to.
Hope you find it useful too:

The best thing about sobriety is NO MORE HANGOVERS! No more waking up at 3 am regretting what I did, no more waking up with my tongue so dry it’s 5x it’s normal size, feeling like I’m going to puke and my head pounding with every breath. No more cancelling plans I knew I would never keep on recovery Sunday. No more laying on the couch scarfing down carbs all day watching crappy TV on a beautiful sunny day. No more ignoring phone calls due to painful guilt and shame for the night before. Or worse yet, trying to remember what the hell I did the night before. No more bloated face, saggy blood shot eyes and horrible smelly bathroom visits which couldn’t hide how badly I poisoned myself while “living it up and unwinding.” No more looks of pity from my husband who bought me coffee from my favorite place, only I was too sick to even smell it let alone drink it. No more hating myself for having lost control yet again! Sobriety isn’t something I have to do, it’s something I get to do, because I have the power now… not the drug. I get to wake up every morning knowing I never have to experience those humiliating feelings ever again. So for those who pity us boring sober folks, it’s the other way around.

9 Likes

Keep strong friend, and this is a great post with a great outlook on it!

1 Like