A lot of 24 hours

I had the joy of setting down and having coffee with a man that has been in AA and sober for 40 yrs…practically my whole life. When he speaks at meetings…he says life changing things. I wish I would have taken notes today. He is hilarious, intellient, compassionte, and just over all an amazing mentor. (I don’t know if he knows it, but in my mind he is my mentor)

Some of what i can remember from today and all the meetings I have been in (minus the f word, man cusses like a sailor)

1. Only one person knows what it will take for you to stop drinking. You! I can tell what it takes for me, the people I have sponsored. But its on you.

2. If the 12 steps were easy, no one would be a drunk. We would just take a drunk hand them the 12 steps and problem solved. Takes work, your sponsor is just a guide. Its up to you to look internally.

3. Keep coming back. Didnt hear what made sense to you. Leave it at the table. Not everyone will have what you need. When you hear what speaks to you write that shit down and live it.

4. we drunks dont know how to live. Thats what this chair does for me. It helps me live today. If i want to stay sober, i keep coming back.

5. Advice is like coffee…there is good coffee and bad coffee. Someone passes you coffee and swears to God its the best coffee, the only coffee you should drink…throw that shit out. Its been on the burner to long.

6. lack of humility leads to relapse. The bigger the ego the harder the fall. Thats why we have tell another human our issues. Yes you know them, yes God knows them…but it takes a humble person to look at another person and tell them their defects.

25 Likes

I love all of this. You’re lucky to have met someone like that. I hope as I enter my journey further at some point I come across someone with that kind of time and wisdom. Thanks for this

1 Like

I set next to him in the meeting I go to, just great to talk to

1 Like

Wise words from a wise man! Love this post! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

This is gold. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Its the AA i know…i might start stalking him and get more meetings with him …lol

5 Likes

Haha. Spoken like a true alcoholic! :wink:

1 Like

We actually are going to coffee again. Wearing a wire and recording him next time…lol

2 Likes

Good lad. Get him to spill all the AA magic beans.

1 Like

To him the majic beans is simply his chair. He comes off as a crotchety old man. But when he starts speaking the wisdom and compassion is overwhelming

2 Likes

I feel like #6 rings true for so many addicts. Thank you for sharing :hibiscus:

3 Likes

I felt compelled to share. Just great stuff

1 Like

Thanks for this!

1 Like

That is a lot of brilliance right there. PLEASE share more of his pearls of wisdom occasionally. I think he may be able to help many of us, even if he never knows it.

2 Likes

Maybe he can join TS! :grin:

1 Like

Sound a good old guy ,but has he a beard like us Thirdmonkey lol

2 Likes

Nope…no beard…but his compasion and wisdom makes up for it

1 Like

Those crotchety old men got me sober lol. I’m going to see them all at the noon meeting

3 Likes

I love this. Thank you for sharing this with us, Scott.

1 Like

Todays tidbit.

"You cant be in recovery without humility. To be humble is to be teachable. Without humility you are just an average dry drunk. "

4 Likes