A newby on her way to change

Hello everyone! I am here looking for change in my day to day drinking habits. Self control should be easy, but for an extremist I find it very hard to control my drinking. I would like a change and help in changing and that’s why I am here. Hope you all are well and inspired! Just thought I would say hello :grin:

8 Likes

Check out the tips in this thread!

2 Likes

This is helpful! I just have trouble in the evenings when I think drinking would make me have more fun! I’m good till 3 and then I start thinking it’s time for a drink! Maybe every time I get this craving I will go write down 3 reasons why I don’t want to drink.

4 Likes

Why do you think you can have more fun if you drink? Is it just because it makes it easier to relax alone or around other people?

I think it is good to give it some thought. It seems like a common belief that we can’t party and have a good time without drugs and alcohol. It’s not as easy to get loose and get wild without drugs and alcohol. But I don’t think it’s impossible. I think part or being able to do that is becoming comfortable with ourselves and who we are.

1 Like

You say you find it hard to control your drinking.

Is there anyone or anything you can call on to help you with this, apart from this app of course.

I come from the family of drinkers and that’s just what is always around. It’s just what we know. I’m also easily bored so to me having a drink makes everything funner for some reason. Sorry if that sounds funny. It’s just the way I grew up and the only path I’ve known.

2 Likes

Not really because everyone I know also drinks all the time. Friends and family

1 Like

Doesn’t sound funny to me. One of the reasons we drank for so long was because alcohol did everything we asked it to, until it started doing more harm than good.

I understand how you feel, 5 PM was my drinking time. Took a while of doing other things before that urge went away.

Hang in there, it will get better!

3 Likes

Thank you! It’s definitely a struggle. Drinking and not drinking. Thank you for the support!

Sobriety really isn’t about self control. Self control is for the white knucklers who just sit there and talk themselves out of drinking. What we really need to strive for is a change in our thinking…how we think about our day to day lives and how we think we should deal with stresses or even celebrations.

Take some time to think about why you REALLY drink “day to day” and then think about how you can face those same situations without alcohol. I know it is hard to believe but the truth is that alcohol makes nothing better and often makes things worse.

YOU CAN DO IT!!

4 Likes

Wow! That makes so much sense! Thank you for the insight and I will definitely reflect on this. :heart:

Welcome and hope you can find what you need here. This app has helped me a lot

1 Like

Thank you! Can you tell me how it has helped you?

1 Like

This was day 4 and I cracked :sob:

I went out to lunch today and that’s where I blew it. We always have a beer when we go out. Just staying home. I love cooking so thats what ill do.

You can do this!!! I with you peace and happiness in your journey!!!

One of the pieces of advice I took from here when I first started was that getting sober is life changing.
To me this meant changing my physical life and my outlook towards alcohol.
Don’t put yourself in the position to be tempted, at least until you feel strong enough to say no comfortably.
Start to train you mind to think differently about drink.
Stay strong and focused :grinning:

The great thing about sober time is it’s not lost, you had four days and now you can have as many as you want.

I have posted on here a few times when i was going through some hard time and the feedback i always have gotten is awesome.

BC899EB2-BDC8-4D64-B6E1-E4432C1F128B
PS…you dont have to relapse, but if you do forgive yourself and move on…

1 Like