A WHOLE YEAR SOBER - I finally did it šŸ„³

A year sober- a year better

So Iā€™m now a whole year sober, a whole year with limited pain, limited regret, reduced anxiety, increased confidence and a better quality of life.

A year ago today I was on holiday in Cornwall staying in a cottage. It was the morning after my last drink and I felt like I was the worst person in the world.

The day before I planned to have ā€œ6 pintsā€ on the beach while the Mrs went for a walk. Is it normal to have 6 pints for a relaxed time??? Of course I got found out as I get a strong Yorkshire accent once Iā€™ve had a few. I lied saying I hadnā€™t drunk and drove back to the cottage with my wife and kids in the car. I then engineered an argument and stormed out to Tesco. I did go to Tesco to buy alcohol which I hid in the car boot for when I eventually would turn up back at the holiday cottage. I went out then for the night driving from pub to pub in blackout, causing trouble, pestering women and being a general nuisance. I arrived back at the cottage and then after a massive argument (still denying drinking I fell to sleep). The morning after I had the usual regret, shame, anxiety, sadness and the ā€œI will never drink again attitudeā€ but this time I actually did something about it by finding a program and working it.

I can now walk down the street with my head held high and not worry about who Iā€™ve upset in active alcoholism. Iā€™m now a rational thinker and donā€™t act on my stereotypical male impulses (violence, aggression and lust) without alcohol in my system I have morals and may think about certain things but wonā€™t act on them as in sane mind I think about the consequences of my actions.

A lot of you know a lot of my stories already but I wasnā€™t a very upstanding member of the community when drinking

• Regular violence
  • Damage to property
  • Powerless over drugs
  • Powerless over women
  • Wouldnā€™t be scared of making a negative impression to fulfil and feed my own ego

Where Iā€™d possibly be if still drinking:

• Living on my own
  • Living for alcohol
  • Only seeing my children 3/4 days a week
  • Not be financially secure
  • Be in prison
  • Be in a relationship with somebody who drunk like me / tolerated my drinking
  • Having suicidal thoughts
  • Couldā€™ve killed somebody drink driving
  • Have lost my job
  • Cross addiction to drugs

Iā€™d be in a whole world still consumed by my obsessive thoughts around alcohol. Thankfully because Iā€™m not drinking none of the above currently applies

My program of recovery consists of

• regular AA meetings 2/3 times a week, currently doing a lot more now meeting are on Zoom
  • Daily prayer, reading and reflection
  • Worked the steps and done all the work required being honest and open
  • Offering service when I can
  • Checking in on my online communities
  • Having the opportunity to reach out to another alcoholic if I need too. Iā€™m a stereotypical male so Iā€™m not a ā€˜ringerā€™ but I will text if I need advise or support
  • Most importantly NOT TAKING THAT FIRST DRINK :wine_glass: :beer: :cocktail: :tropical_drink:

The mental obsession has been removed from me, I now donā€™t obsess about drinking or think about how Iā€™m going to get my drink. I used to hate the constant lies, hiding my alcohol and going to any means to not get found out

• I used to hide my alcohol in various places around the house
  • When I went to the bar Iā€™d have to get two beers and down one before I got back to the table
  • I DIY ā€œfixedā€ a breathalyser I got off amazon to prove my innocence. Basically I covered the sensor so I would always blow Zero to prove to others I was sober (when I wasnā€™t)
  • I used to engineer arguments so I could disappear on benders for days on end

There are endless other things I did to hide my alcoholism from others and too many to list, Iā€™m blessed that I donā€™t have to do that today

The alcoholic ā€œillnessā€ is progressive.

Two years ago I vowed that Iā€™d never drink drive or drink in the morning. Guess what a year ago I was regularly drink driving and choosing to drink in the morning often.

What would I be like in another year? Iā€™d never drink to get through the day? I bet Iā€™d be doing thatā€¦ I know the progression now hearing others experience, strength and hope :pray:

The day after drinking and doing something bad I genuinely believed in my heart that Iā€™d never drink again but after the days and weeks passed and the anxiety and shame subsided then Iā€™d start to romanticise alcohol again getting euphoric recall about how I used to have fun. The important thing is to play the tape and think about what would happen if I kept drinking, Iā€™d think of all the negative experiences and pain Iā€™ve been in and caused. Iā€™m now out of that cycle as today I donā€™t want to drink again EVER

I want to thank all my friends Iā€™ve met in the AA rooms, my friends from around the world on my online communtities, my friends and family and everybody else who has supported me on this tough journey

For anybody still struggling please read my story and know there is a solution but you have to fully surrender and be willing to do the work and follow what is suggested. So far Itā€™s worked for me so Iā€™ll carry on doing what Iā€™m doing

Hopefully one day I can sponsor people and help others who were in the same hopeless cycle as I was.

:earth_africa: :partying_face: :tada: :confetti_ball: :cupcake: :cake: :birthday: :heartbeat: :two_hearts: :rose: :sunny:

86 Likes

Absolutely fantastic!! What a positive story ! Im on day 7 cant wait to achieve this !!

4 Likes

Amazing Darren. So happy to see this :hugs:

Your determination has paid off and you deserve all the happiness that comes your way! :pray::sparkling_heart:

2 Likes

Darren thatā€™s amazing buddy .good on you for working it.

3 Likes

Congratulations Darren! :trophy:
Very positive to read!

3 Likes

Well done @DarrenUK that is a fantastic achievement! People on this forum will know exactly how hard it is do what you have doneā€¦it is so inspiring listening to peopleā€™s success at beating alcohol! Alot of what you wrote is so similar to my lifeā€¦a whole year! Wow! Keep it going mateā€¦you have made my day :grin:

2 Likes

OUTSTANDING, CHAMPION!

:+1:

Congratulations on your year.
Go well

3 Likes

You are an inspiration Darren

2 Likes

Congratulations!!!:facepunch:t2:

2 Likes

Congratulations!

2 Likes

Congratulations!!

2 Likes

Darren congratulations mate I hope ur proud of yaself itā€™s great to read ur story u will deffi inspire others xxx

2 Likes

So happy and proud of u Darren. Your a inspiration to me and so pleased your here to share your story of hope faith and courage x

2 Likes

Only a Year?? Ha!! Try 365 Days now!! Then Iā€™ll be impressedā€¦:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::rofl:. Good job!

2 Likes

CONGRATS @DarrenUK!! One year is such an amazing achievement and no easy feat! What strength, determination and courage youā€™ve had this past 365 days! That is truly inspirational :muscle::100::raised_hands::+1: sober life = our best life!!! Keep living that best life bro!

2 Likes

Amazing Darren, Iā€™m still shocked how much can change in a year and reading your post cements that!
:partying_face::sparkling_heart::metal::star:

2 Likes

Well, Darren, I am so moved! I recall your struggles and then your quiet progress. Your story and mine overlap in many details, and 100% in the thoughts and feelings of failing to stay sober and then the miracle of recovery.

Iā€™m proud of you and I love how you credit your recovery to all sorts of agents outside yourself, AA, family, friends etc.

Keep coming back, stay sober! May many blessings shower on you and your family today. :pray:

3 Likes

First of all, Congratulations. I just crossed the 9 months mark a few days ago and am have my eye on that 1 Year mark myself. Itā€™s crazy that we live so far a part yet share an almost similar story. You see, I lost my ex wife over my issue and it tool me a while to come to the SELF realization that I canā€™t drink. I canā€™t JUST have a beer or a shot and call it a day. Iā€™m not that type of person. I too become a Monster of sorts.

I made a career transition in the beginning of June and am working full time with my Stateā€™s Military (National Guard). Usually when one does such a transition, the pay takes a while to kick in. Though my lovely faince told me that sheā€™ll hold me up, I didnā€™t want to burden her a lot, so I went to my brother with my hat in hand. Without even batting an eye or hesitation, my brother gave me what I asked for and hugged me and told me not even to worry about paying him back. He told me that it was better to be broke because I was fulfilling my responsibilities than being broke because of the constant drinking and drugging that we used to do (He stopped drinking around the same time I did as well). I felt a whole lot better when he told me that.

My sisterā€™s, mother and father are literally at so much ease because I chose to accept the fact that Iā€™m an alcoholic. My life is so much better because of it. Youā€™re an inspiration, amigo and I thank you for posting your wonderful accomplishment. It keeps reminding myself of where I came from and how this all started.

Congratulations, Amigo ^.^

6 Likes

Massive well done to you Darren, thatā€™s one inspiring story, many congratulations!! :grin:

2 Likes

What a great story, such an achievement :smiley:. Well done x

2 Likes