A Year Sober, What I've Learnt

So, I’m on day 371. I’ve waited to make this post for a particular reason. Although technically the year was up I actually gave up drinking after last years Champions League Final. I’d consumed almost a litre of gin by myself, had fallen down the stairs in my house a lot that night and had the worlds worst hangover for a week. The Champions League Final this year was yesterday. One of my very first posts here was this:

Well done, I love it here, reading messages of how everyone is getting on in their lives. For me I can’t wait to be in that place. A huge trigger for me is a sunny Saturday afternoon with nothing to do other than watch a game of football. Nice with a couple of cold beers or some gin. Until I’ve blacked out again. Anyway, can’t wait until I’m at the stage I can enjoy a Saturday with the game totally sober! (Jun 2018)

Well, I’m in that place! Yesterday was seriously a huge test for me. This time last year I couldn’t imagine enjoying the game sober. I didn’t realise at the time but it was the anticipation of being drunk that I used to crave. Not the physical act of drinking it was the THOUGHT of being drunk beforehand. I had no idea how much I romantacised being drunk. I didn’t drink and watch football because I enjoyed a nice glass of gin, or wine or beer, they always tasted like shit but I enjoyed the thought of being drunk, being out of control, not being myself. I used watching football as an excuse to get drunk, not because it enhanced the match in anyway at all.

I’ve learnt over this past year that it’s ok to be me, life, reality, my own sense of ego is actually pretty good, alcohol doesn’t make anything better, I don’t need to escape reality in order to feel fulfilled in life. I’ve never felt healthier, I sleep better, I’m a nicer person to be around. When I was drinking I had such a short shitty temper at times, I mean just all the time not just when I was drinking. I’d fly off the handle at the slightest thing. Now, I feel good, really good.

I can’t believe that from about 16yrs old every single year there have been days of my life lost through blackouts, days where I’ve felt ashamed to go out in case I see someone from the night before and I was a total drunken arsehole to them. I’ve now had a whole year and not felt that once. It’s such a liberating feeling.

For anyone that’s a binge drinker, that feels like it’s a never-ending cycle and you can’t break that habit. You can, I promise you. If me, who would think nothing of drinking a bottle vodka to himself on a Saturday, alone every weekend can do it you can too. Stay strong people.

36 Likes

This is so good to read! As a fellow binge drinker I can really relate to this. Thank you for sharing and for being one of my first sober buddies on here.

I also often think of all the time wasted getting wasted, and wondered why it took me so long to realise actually being sober is an option… :thinking:🤦

Keep that counter counting!

tenor%20(4)

15 Likes

congrats on a year! this was such a lovely post to read :slight_smile:

yesterday was a trigger for me with the CLF because my ex and i would watch football and of course, drink A LOT. as i saw people pouring out of pubs watching the game my heart pulled.

buuut i decided to keep on with my list of chores and know that the feeling WILL pass and i’ll be glad to be sober that day, and everyday. happy sunday!

4 Likes

That gif :joy:. Thank you, it’s lovely to feel a part of something.

3 Likes

Right with you. I’m not strong enough to do the pub thing yet. I had to watch the game at home. Buying Kombucha in the Co-Op yesterday before and I had zero inclination to get alcohol. Never thought that I wouldn’t be triggered by yesterdays events. This time last year I hadn’t even opened the curtains, I’d not eaten, I couldn’t physically get out of bed. This year, up at 7am, breakfast by 8, worked out by 10am.

Eat shit hangovers :muscle:

10 Likes

heck yes! i bought kombucha, too.

even went to a get-together last night where everyone was getting shit faced off fancy homemade cocktails. i sipped on a soda (something i never do but figured it would keep my mouth full of flavor) and was SO DAMN HAPPY to not be hungover today!

f u hangovers :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

I was also a binge drinker…which has its own challenges. It is inspiring to read of your progress…it sounds like you have made a huge mental shift. Very empowering!!

Congratulations on your year!! What a great accomplishment!!:heart::heart:

4 Likes

Awesome work, my friend. Incredibly proud of you!

2 Likes

Congratulations!!! So very glad to read this. It brought up a lot of the feelings I have now…it’s nice to seem them brought forth so eloquently. Congrats again❤️

3 Likes

Congratulations! This is such a great post. I love your reflections looking back on how you used to be. It’s powerful stuff. It’s amazing that things we used to think we could never do without alcohol are actually better without alcohol. My perspective and outlook has changed so much in sobriety and it just keeps improving. Keep going and again huge congrats to you!

4 Likes

Nice one Chris! @Mobius :grinning:

1 Like

You got Kombucha at the Co-op? Happy days, I love it!
And congratulations on the year!
If you’re not confident with the pub, don’t rush - I have no problem at all being in a pub, with my mates getting drunk, but it’s 2 and a half years for me - the first year was a bit of a test.
Just keep on, one day at a time, never have the first, and you’ll be with your buddies in a year, not giving a flying fuck about the poison that’s just turned them into silly arses.

2 Likes

Great post man! I am very happy and proud of you that you made it past a year.

1 Like

What an inspiring reed thank you, cant wait to be where you are emotionally and physically. Keep up the great work :green_heart::orange_heart::+1:

1 Like

Congratulations! Thank you for sharing!

1 Like

Congratulations!!! YNWA :wink:

1 Like

Motivation at its finest, @mobius ! Thank you Chris for sharing your story and a huge pat on the back for a year + under your belt. You are walking motivation in my eyes! :+1:t3::smiley:

1 Like

Loved your share it really does inspire me… Congratulations. Your rocking recovery x

1 Like

I’m keeping your before and after image in my head it will give me something to aspire to. Congratulations to you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ah Chris! I have always enjoyed your posts,and it is wonderful to see you doing so well. You are so full of good wisdom. Good on you for over one year of a happier life!

1 Like